These landmark theaters first opened their doors in 1913, and the Centre is now a designated National Historic Site, owned and operated by the Ontario Heritage Trust. Both the Elgin and the Winter Garden have been restored to their Edwardian gilded glory, and the theaters vie with the Royal Alexandra and the Princess of Wales Theatre for major shows and attention. The Centre has been deemed the last operating double-decker theater. The downstairs Elgin is larger, seating 1,539 and featuring a lavish domed ceiling and gilded decoration on the boxes and proscenium. Frescoes adorn the striking interior of the 984-seat Winter Garden. Suspended from the ceiling and lit with lanterns are more than 5,000 branches of beech leaves, which have been preserved, painted, and fireproofed. Both theaters offer everything from Broadway musicals and dramas to concerts and opera performances, with the Toronto International Film Festival utilizing the Elgin as a cinema.