This grand colonial mansion, royal blue with white window grilles, conserves the 18th-century desk of Simón Bolívar, who lived here for 2 years after proclaiming Peru's independence in 1824. The home, with three lovely interior courtyards, is one of Trujillo's most magnificently restored and most historic. It hosted the first viceroy of Peru in 1604 and was the headquarters of the first bank in Trujillo. The dining room features spectacular French porcelain, and throughout there are beautiful chandeliers and mirrors. In a second patio is an exhibit of Moche and Nasca ceramics. Look for the gold Chavín necklaces and several Chimú ornamental pieces, also in gold. Today the mansion is owned by the Banco Central.