By Car

Most visitors to Utah travel the state in a car. In fact, in some areas, it's a necessity. Planes, trains, and buses do not cover many areas of the state.

Before you set out on a road trip, you might want to join the American Automobile Association (AAA; tel. 800/222-4357; for Northern California, Nevada, and Utah information), which has hundreds of offices nationwide. The Salt Lake City office is located at 560 E. 500 South (tel. 800/541-9902 or 801/364-5615), and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:30pm. AAA also has offices in Ogden (tel. 801/476-1666), Orem (tel. 801/225-4801), St. George (tel. 435/656-3990), and several other locations. Members receive excellent road maps and emergency road service, and AAA will even help you plan an exact itinerary.

If you're visiting from abroad and plan to rent a car in the United States, keep in mind that foreign driver's licenses are usually recognized in the U.S., but you may want to consider obtaining an international driver's license.

By Plane

Some large airlines offer transatlantic or transpacific passengers special discount tickets under the name Visit USA, which allows mostly one-way travel from one U.S. destination to another at very low prices. Unavailable in the U.S., these discount tickets must be purchased abroad in conjunction with your international fare. This system is the easiest, fastest, cheapest way to see the country, but you'll likely still need a rental car after landing in Utah.

By Train

International visitors can buy a USA Rail Pass, good for 15, 30, or 45 days of unlimited travel on Amtrak (tel. 800/USA-RAIL [872-7245]; The pass is available online or through many overseas travel agents. Visit Amtrak's website for the cost of travel within the western, eastern, or northwestern United States. Reservations are generally required and should be made as early as possible. Regional rail passes are also available.

By Bus

Greyhound (tel. 800/231-2222; is the sole nationwide bus line. International visitors can obtain information about the Greyhound Discovery Pass. The pass, which offers unlimited travel and stopovers in the U.S. and Canada, can be obtained from foreign travel agents or through

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.