Master mason Pere Compte constructed this fortified hall between 1482 and 1533 as Valencia’s silk exchange. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is considered a top example of Gothic civic architecture. A forest of twisted-wheat columns supports the main trading hall, and the tranquil central courtyard features orange trees and a fountain. School children on field trips are usually extremely amused by the gargoyles representing bodily functions usually performed outside of public view.