advertisement

In a city that has bulldozed so many of its historic buildings, it’s a delight to stumble upon one that escaped the developer’s plans. It was a close call for this lovely sandstone building, though. It was built in 1895, and became the cathedral church of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster. In 1971, its membership voted to demolish it and replace it with a high rise; the public, thankfully, objected, and the building was saved. Today it is a lively place that not only holds religious services, but also presents choral concerts throughout the year and Gregorian chant on Sunday evenings. Visitors are welcome to attend services and events.