This 17th-century house is called the House of Figaro because Mozart (1756-91) composed his opera The Marriage of Figaro here. The composer resided here from 1784 to 1787, a relatively happy period in what was otherwise a rather tragic life. It was here that he often played chamber-music concerts with Haydn. Over the years he lived in a dozen houses in all, which became more squalid as he aged. He died in poverty and was given a "pauper's" blessing at St. Stephan's Cathedral and then buried in St. Marx Cemetery. The Domgasse apartment has been turned into a museum.