With deep-enough pockets, you can enjoy some of the Mid-Atlantic's best luxury accommodations in Virginia.
- Morrison House (Alexandria): More like a country inn in the middle of Old Town Alexandria, this small, luxurious hotel isn't that old, but it looks exactly like the Federal-period homes surrounding it. The dining is marvelous.
- The Tides Inn (Irvington): A venerable boating and golfing retreat, the Tides Inn stands among Virginia's elite resorts. The style is more British Raj than Old Virginny, but the facilities are first-rate, including a spa with treatment rooms overlooking Carter's Creek. The golf course is one of Virginia's best.
- The Boar's Head (Charlottesville): A 19th-century gristmill serves as the centerpiece of this lakeside resort, on the outskirts of Charlottesville, and lends ancient charm to the Old Mill dining room, one of the best places to sample Virginia wines without trekking to the vineyards. Modern amenities include a full-service spa and access to Charlottesville's best-equipped sports club.
- The Homestead (Hot Springs): Outstanding service, fine cuisine, and a myriad of activities characterize this grand old establishment, in business since Thomas Jefferson's day. In fact, Jefferson was the first of seven presidents to stay here. The Homestead offers accommodations ranging from standard rooms to plush suites. PGA pro Lanny Wadkins presides over its golf course, one of Virginia's finest.
- The Jefferson Hotel (Richmond): A Beaux Arts landmark with Renaissance-style balconies and an Italian clock tower, the Jefferson was opened in 1895 by a wealthy Richmonder who wanted his city to have one of America's finest hotels.
- Williamsburg Inn (Williamsburg): An establishment with three fine golf courses, the Williamsburg Inn was built as part of the Colonial Williamsburg restoration but looks like it might have been here in 1750. If staying in the main inn with its superb service and cuisine won't do, you can opt for one of the restored houses and taverns that have been converted into accommodations.