- Scuba Diving in Cozumel & along the Yucatán's Caribbean Coast: The coral reefs off the island, Mexico's premier diving destination, are among the top five dive spots in the world. The Yucatán's coastal reef, part of the planet's second-largest reef system and a national marine park, affords excellent diving all along the coast. Diving from Isla Mujeres is quite spectacular. Especially beautiful is the Chinchorro Reef, lying 32km (20 miles) offshore from Mahahual or Xcalak.
- Fly-Fishing off the Punta Allen & Mahahual Peninsulas: Serious anglers will enjoy the challenge of fly-fishing the saltwater flats and lagoons on the protected sides of these peninsulas.
- Cenote Diving on the Yucatán Mainland: Dive into the clear depths of the Yucatán's cenotes for a whole new world of underwater exploration. The Maya considered the cenotes sacred -- and their vivid colors do indeed seem otherworldly. Most are between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and dive shops in these areas regularly run trips for experienced divers.
- Birding: The Yucatán Peninsula, Tabasco, and Chiapas are ornithological paradises. Two very special places are Isla Contoy, with more than 70 species of birds as well as a host of marine and animal life, and the Huitepec Cloud Forest, with its flocks of migratory species. North America's largest flamingo breeding and nesting grounds lie at opposite ends of Yucatán state's Gulf Coast, in Celestún and Ría Lagartos.
- An Excursion to Bonampak & Yaxchilán: Bonampak and Yaxchilán -- two remote, jungle-surrounded Maya sites along the Usumacinta River -- are accessible by car and motorboat. Colorful murals of battle and victory at Bonampak have managed to survive the elements after hundreds of years, and remain some of the best examples of Maya painting on the peninsula. The experience could well be the highlight of any trip.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.