Although, as expected, Cancún is the source of much of the Yucatán's nightlife, that resort city isn't the only place to have a good time after dark. Along the Caribbean coast, beachside dance floors with live bands and extended happy hours in seaside bars dominate the nightlife. Here are some favorite hot spots, from live music in hotel lobby bars to hip dance clubs.
- Cancún: Longstanding Cancún favorites Carlos 'n' Charlie's and Señor Frog's offer potent drinks, hot music, and wild (if sometimes sloppy) dance floors. For a more cosmopolitan setting, La Madonna is a fashionable and decadent martini bar and restaurant in the La Isla Shopping Village.
- Grupo Dady: Longstanding favorite Dady'O, as well as its offsprings Terresta, UltraClub, Dady Rock, and Dos Equis Bar, all lie within a block of each other pulsating with music and happy revelers. Grupo Dady offers a package rate that includes open bar and entrance to these popular venues.
- Forum by the Sea: This seaside entertainment center in Cancún has it all: a dazzling array of dance clubs, sports bars, fast food, and fine dining, with shops open late as well. You'll find plenty of familiar names here, including the Hard Rock Cafe and Rainforest Cafe. It's also the home of what remains Cancún's hottest club, CoCo Bongo, which regularly packs in up to 3,000 revelers.
- The City: One of Cancún's hottest nightclubs, the City is a raging day-and-night club, offering a beach club with beach and pool activities and food and bar service, as well as the sizzling nightclub with nine bars at which the world's top DJs spin their grooves. This is truly a City that never sleeps.
- Quinta Avenida (Playa del Carmen): Stroll along lively, pedestrian-only Fifth Avenue to find the bar that's right for you. With live-music venues, tequila bars, sports bars, and cafes, you're sure to find something to fit your mood. The intersection with Calle 12 is becoming the de facto club central.
- San Cristóbal de las Casas: This city, small though it may be, has a live-music scene that can't be beat for fun and atmosphere. The bars and clubs are all within walking distance of each other, and they're a real bargain.