Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Argentina » Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén

chrisontour84

Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén

by chrisontour84 »

I would like to share my experiences in El Chaltén for those who plan to go there as well. Maybe it will be useful :) **Loma de Las Pizarras, Argentina**   14/03/2015 Hiking back from Laguna Torre offered me a little excursion that actually deserves it’s own live update: Climbing Loma de Las Pizarras! The peak granted me with a superb view and I could actually see a bit of Cerro Torre this time too. Some rainbows paired with huge winds that nearly blew me off my feet made up for a great experience.   **Laguna Piedras Blanca, Argentina**   19/03/2015 After some rainy days in El Chaltén, I used the upcoming good weather window to start what was supposed to be a four day trek to Paso del Cuadrado. Joined by Rene from the hostel, we knew that the first day would still be rainy; we didn’t know what kind of adventure we would be heading into. Soon after leaving the beaten path, we found ourselves in the middle of a snow storm in freezing temperatures, forcing us to set up an emergency fire at Laguna Piedras Blanca and actually staying the night there as well. For the complete story, keep on reading!   **Paso del Cuadrado, Argentina**   20/03/2015 We had an adventurous last night sleeping underneath a huge boulder during heavy snowfall and were now set to make our way towards Paso del Cuadrado in perfect sunny weather, once more correctly predicted by the forecast. Unclear if we could make it to the top of the 1850m high mountain pass, we were in good spirits and eager to explore the more distant hiking regions around El Chaltén.   Any questions, just ask :)   Cheers, Chris
michael--shae

RE: Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén

by michael--shae »

Be aware.  Hertz car rental in el Calafate Argentina could be a tourist trap.  We got gypped last month due to a flat tire.  First, the car given to us was almost 48000km with a half ripped bumper (I've pic).  We asked for a different vehicle and were absurdly told, "This is the car you ordered."  Then threatened, "If  y ou don't take it you'd be still charged for the reservation."  As tourists we didn't have time to reason.  We didn't drop the bumper but got a flat tire on the road.  It's a common practice for rental companies to ask renter to sign their own insurance police, in this case we had 15,000 pesos (about US$1,000) deductable.  We couldn't believe it when we returned the car at the ariport we're charge exactly 15,000 pesos for the flat tire and handed over a simple hand written receipt without detailed repair work and replacement parts.  We understand we need to pay for over half-life used tire and rim if it's really damaged.  We wrote a complaint to Hertz Customer Relations to ask for an actual repair statement and got no help.  They simply said, "We damaged the car we need to pay for it."  The question is do we need to pay for non-related items and made up repair?  How did it come out exactly 15,000pesos (before they could charge to the insurance co.)?  Tourists are vulnerable for such defrauding practice.  Just be aware when you travel to Patagonia, a paradise of wonderland, don't get gypped by such nasty practice.

sandersmith

RE: Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén

by sandersmith »

My tennis partner and good friend had planned a trip to Patagonia to celebrate her birthday and I'm excited for my next vacation as I'm always up for an adventure. I agreed to tag along and been checking out travel sites since last week. I'm currently looking at hotels.com, hotelscombined.com and hotelsdifferently.com. The packages and prices are excellent. Is there anyone out there who have booked through one of these sites and have avoided incidents like this? That would really be helpful! Thanks in advance! :)

advertisement