Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » China & Tibet » 7 day February china travel itinerary 2017 Beijing - Shanghai

7 day February china travel itinerary 2017 Beijing - Shanghai

by berlinmed »

We are 3 active guys from US,  early thirties, with extensive travel experience, but first time in China (not counting Hong Kong), with no knowledge of Mandarin/Cantonese.   I was hoping to get some ideas and guidance regarding the itinerary for the trip:   We are flying into Beijing Feb 3, Friday in the evening and leaving from Shanghai Saturday Feb 11 in the evening, so a total of about 7 full days in China.  Initially i though of spending 2-3 days in Beijing, 2 days Xian, 2-3 days in Shanghai, but i think we may be rushing it.  Should we just split our week between Beijing and Shanghai? Maybe day trips from these cities? I would love to see the terracotta warriors. Its february, so surely will be cold, so some of the nature related activities are out of the question, so was thinking of sticking to the cities and exploring them. Mostly i want to get a taste of china, with plans to return in the future at some point.   Also, I think Chinese New year celebrations and travel overflow is over by february 3? Can someone comment on that please? It seems that we are traveling right after the holiday...   Thanks in advance for the advice as always

RE: 7 day February china travel itinerary 2017 Beijing - Shanghai

by ChinaExpat »

You actually could spend 7 days in Beijing alone and not get bored and spend only 2 days in Shanghai and not feel you missed much, in my opinion.  The only Beijing day trip is usually going to the Great Wall. In Shanghai, you could do day trips to one of the several water towns. Trips to Suzhou or Hangzhou would be best as 2 day trips. Better to plan 3 full days at a minimum in Beijing and then If you really want to see the Terrocotta Warriors (a day in Xi'an is better than an extra day in Shanghai), you could take a night sleeper train on day 4 (evening of 3rd full day in Beijing) arriving early in Xi'an after saving the cost of a hotel for one night, then leave sometime the following day for Shanghai.  The 306 tourist bus to the TW leaves from the parking lot of the Xi'an station that the "K" and "T" night sleeper trains arrive at. To get to Shanghai from Xi'an you have low speed sleeper train, high speed train and flight options.

Day 1 - Arrival in Beijing
Day 2 - Full day in Beijing
Day 3 - Full day in Beijing
Day 4 - Full day in Beijing, then night sleeper train to Xi'an
Day 5 - Xi'an full day after early train arrival
Day 6 - Xi'an, then High Speed "G" Train to Shanghai (about 7 hours), night train to Shanghai (about 15 hours), or fly in the evening,
Day 7 - Full day in Shanghai
Day 8 - Shangha - Day trip to one of the water towns
Day 9 - Depart Shanghai

You could do the Xi'an to Shanghai travel on the night of day 5, but I'd plan on a hotel night between to sleeper train nights to get a better rest.

* Its february, so surely will be cold - Yes it will * so some of the nature related activities are out of the question,- yes but more so becauset you don't have enough time. * Mostly i want to get a taste of china, with plans to return in the future at some point. - The above would do that * Also, I think Chinese New year celebrations and travel overflow is over by february 3? - Hard to tell but definitely winding down, but the best thing you can do is firm up your itinerary, decide if taking trains or flying then buy your tickets well in advance. Plane tickets can be bought now and train tickets become available 60 days before the travel date. You can use a site like http://www.china-diy-travel.com to purchase train tickets as soon as they're available, and www.elong.net or www.ctrip.com are good for purchasing domestic air tickets. I use booking.com a lot for hotel bookings in China.

by Sean321 »

Wow, what a great plan to enjoy 7 days in Beijing. I love this time scheule and I will say it is truly good and amazing for the you. No doubt that this city is famous for the travelers. i hoep you will enjoy there a lot. Don't forget to take your camera for capturing the beauyt of nature. 

by ha1ha1 »

Indeed, awesome plan. ANd I'd lvoe to add if you are in Beijing on a Sunday morning with good weather and not stuck in a tour group, I would highly recommend to go to Jingshan Park, mentioned in the article, for people-watching in a more compact space than Beihai Park. When the weather is good, there are all kinds of musical ensembles and activities, such as ballroom and ribbon dancing, there. There will be multiple groups of older people nostalgically singing revolutionary (red) songs they learned in their youth. If the weather is bad, diehard group(s) singing red songs may be the only ones turning out, as was the case when I went there on a Sunday last November because of our essay writer contest. On Saturdays and weekdays, I you can find some musical activities in major Beijing parks, but not as many as on Sundays. It is a remarkable scene for an one accustomed to American public parks being used mainly for sports activities.

by jdenver »

Hi :) just love meeting new people and making new friends ;) I love travel too and I'm currently on Shanghai, China. Been visited Shanghai and it's indeed a lovely place. I have hired photographer to document my amazing experiences here. Their website is recquixit(dot)com if you're ever looking for more range in photography. This place is indeed amazing together with the people :) 

advertisement