Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Ecuador » Untamed Path on the Curaray River 2013

wanderlost

Untamed Path on the Curaray River 2013

by wanderlost »

My three twenty year old children and I explored the Curaray River in Ecuador by dugout canoe; camping alongside the river at night and fishing for catfish and piranna's for dinner.  We booked our trip through Untamed Path, a small Oregon based expedition company that we found on the internet using the search words: 'deep Amazon'.  My wife broke her arm right before the trip so we had to go without her which worried me as she handles most of the logistics when we travel. Our three indigenous guides and one Spanish and indigenous speaking Swiss guide ensured we had an amazing adventure deep into the rainforest where we did not see any other tourists for 7 days.  We paddled down the Curaray river seeing macaws, hiked through the rainforest to learn from the native naturalist about a vast variety of plants and animals, swam in the river at night to clean off the mud, ate fresh fish and local foods and watched stars cross the skies from a campfire on the beach.  The guides handled all the logistics for the trip, cooking the meals, organizing the daily activities, keeping the dugout canoe upright and looking after local flights that were predictably unpredictable.  After the rainforest portion of the trip Untamed Path organized a trip to the cloud forest where we spent New Year's Eve celebrating in a small local village where we made effigies with the local people to burn at midnight.  Our last days were spent high in the Andes at a natural hot spring. Untamed Path did a fabulous job of organizing a trip that was completely unique, individualized to our interests and off the beaten path.  The cost was $3000/person for 14 days including everything (internal flights, hotels, meals, guides, canoe, fishing instruction)!!!
rosscristina1

RE: Untamed Path on the Curaray River 2013

by rosscristina1 »

Looks like great adventure, I am planning to visit Ecuador, we have planned 1 week of trip can you suggest which is more adventurus and exciting place to visit? We are confused between Galapagos Islands and Amazon Rain forests. Please help .. Thank you 

advertisement