Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Iceland » 7 hour layover Keflavík airport - what to do?

7 hour layover Keflavík airport - what to do?

by /bio/traveljunkie711 »

Hello,

We will be flying back to US and will have a 7 hr layover at the Keflavik airport.  Any suggestions of what to do just to get a little taste? Is renting a car for several hours doable? Is there anything we should be aware of for rental car rules? Don't plan on offroad/gravel road adventures.  What would you do besides the Blue Lagoon? I don't believe we would go into the water there. Probably just go check it out. Ideas for what else we should do?

thanks!!

RE: 7 hour layover Keflavík airport - what to do?

by /bio/pheymont »

Is that 7-hour layover from touchdown to take-off? If so, it's a lot shorter because you'll need to deplane, go through immigration and then on the backside, go through security again. So more like 4 hours. If you've already made the deduction, 7 hours gives you more time...but not a lot.

Blue Lagoon: I'd recommend against it unless you're going to go in it, because otherwise, it is just a large shallow pool with warm water. It is NOT especially scenic in itself; it's artificial and set in a lava field, of which there are many to be seen. On the other hand, going into it is a pleasant enough experience, and if all you have is 4 hours, it might be what you want.

Getting into Reykjavik is easy without renting; the Flybus from the airport takes you into central Reykjavik, and from there, the town is all walking distance (or if you want to go further out, there are taxis). It's an interesting town with some good food options (see other posts here). There are several interesting museums at hand; for the short time you have, the best bet might be Reykjavik 871+, an underground museum near the City Hall; it centers on an excavated 9th century Viking longhouse from the early settlement period, but also has a lot of fascinating material on Iceland's history. Or, if you're traveling in spring or summer, you might inves your time in the Arbaer farm museum on the edge of the city; it was a working farm for centuries up until the late 1940s and has a fascinating view of Icelandic rural life.

Simplest way to handle this, though, might be to use one of the local tour operators. We did several tours with Reykjavik Excursions (http://re.is) which is also the company operating the Flybus. They may well have tours that interest you and can fit with the flight schedule.

Thank you for the information!  The airline's official time says 7.25 hr so you're right not that much time to get around.  We just wanted a little taste of Iceland to say we've been.  The kids think it's totally cool (and so do I!)  Thanks for the insight about the Blue Lagoon.  We've been around alot of hot springs (I grew up in Wyoming and going to Yellowstone and swimming in the hot springs every summer) so that in itself is not a must.  I am going to check into the tour company you posted and Flybus. 

Thanks!!!

by /bio/warlord »

Yep I totally agree with just taking the Flybus into Reykjavík for a few hours to break up the time.  The airport is very small and has next to nothing in it.  So 7 or so hours would be horrible to spend in that little place.  Though the bus will come at certain intervals, it will also take about 45 mins or so to get to town and another back depending on the pick ups if I remember correctly.  Still that gives you around 2 hours, and there is a luggage stroage in the main bus station in Reykjavík as well that's decently priced.  2 hours there is enough to get a good look at the city and wander around.  It's not a very big city so 2 hours is decent enough to get a taste of Iceland at least.

And yes the Blue Lagoon is expensive on top of there really not being much there other than the man made springs...

Thanks everyone.  I looked into the flybus tours and other companies and everything I've looked falls outside of our time in Iceland.  I am dissappointed that it is so far into town and will take a big chunk just riding back and forth on the bus--but hey, we'll be in Iceland!.  The Flybus looks like the best option.  I read somewhere that it is approximately $120 USD each way via cab and that is only for 2 people and we are 5.  The look around town and lunch looks like the best we can do.  The bright side is that our luggage will be checked all the way through to our final destination even with the long layover (according to Icelandair).  Flybus here we come ;-)

ksandness

by ksandness »

Reykjavik is a small and compact city, so a couple of hours walking around should give you a good taste of the country, and you'll see some of the unique landscape on the way in.

Laugavegur is a mostly pedestrianized main street, and a good spot to find lunch, as well as some tourist sites.

The Icelandic language is basically the language of the Vikings and difficult for outsiders, but this is one of those countries where everyone really does speak English, so you should have no trouble getting around.

ronjon

by ronjon »

Go to the Blue Lagoon. That's what a friend did and they loved it. Said it was very relaxing between flights. Hoping I'm getting that name right.

advertisement