Having second thoughts about my itinerary...
We're planning on being in Ireland from the 10th-18th of March because a friend of mine is getting married in London and we decided to extend the vacation after attending the wedding. At the moment, we were planning on flying into Shannon from London on the 10th and picking up our rental car and heading for: 2 nights in Corofin, 2 nights in Galway, 1 night in Kilkenny, and ending 3 nights in Dublin. We've already reserved the 3 night stay in Dublin (BnB is actually in Dundrum) because of the festival and concern that accommodations wouldn't be available because of that. However, we haven't reserved anything else because I'm starting to second guess the areas we chose.
I knew since we had only a short period of time to spend in Ireland that I needed to pick either north or south and make somewhat of an arch instead of a loop with the areas we chose, and stay 2 nights in each area. I only heard about Corofin because of Airbnb and they had a pretty nice looking BnB for a good price and it didn't seem far from Ennis which was the original plan. I figured staying in Corofin to begin with we could visit the Cliffs as well as see some castles near Limerick (King John's mostly) and then tour the Burren area as we make our way to Galway. The problem I'm having though is the route from Galway to Dublin because I know that we're wanting to come through Wicklow on our way to Dundrum/Dublin. Because we were wanting to go through this area, we figured it was best to stay in Kilkenny to break up the drive from Galway.
I guess now I'm just second guessing my route because I'm thinking the areas I chose are more mountainside and I was kind of hoping for a variety of areas.When I was looking at my list of places that I'd like to visit in Ireland I see a lot more places in the County Clare/Limerick, Kerry, and Cork area than in the Galway/Kilkenny area. I know from reviews of Galway that it's a gorgeous area, I guess I just worry that in the back of my mind I'll be thinking about the photo ops in the south part that I'm missing out on.
The downside to changing my route though is it's a lot more of a driving distance from what I've seen from Shannon to the south part ending in the Dublin area than it would be to go from Shannon to Galway/Kilkenny. What do you think I should do? Should I just stick with the route that I have already or can I make some minor adjustments. The only dates I cannot change would be the 15-18th because we already have reservations in Dundrum. We haven't purchased our plane tickets from London to Shannon because we were still mulling over the beginning of the trip details and didn't know if we would want to fly in Shannon or if it would be better to fly somewhere else.
Am I making any sense? I think I might just be an overthinker.