Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Ireland » Ireland (29 Apr to 13 May 2017)

introvertadela

Ireland (29 Apr to 13 May 2017)

by introvertadela »

Hi everyone, I'm planning my solo trip to Ireland and I have a rough gauge of things I want to do and where to base myself and wanted to check whether its feasible.

I will reach Dublin on 29 Apr before 11am. Originally the plan was to fly out of Dublin but after reading some advice online, I'm inclined to fly out from Cork or Shannon on 13 May in the late afternoon onwards. I will be using public transport to get around. I have 14 nights and was thinking of 4 nights in Dublin, 5 in Galway and the last 5 nights in Killarney. I would do day trips out either through bus tours or private tours.

My must-see places are Glendalough, Cashel, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, Connemara, Gap of Dunloe and Giants Causeway. It would be nice to see Charles Fort and Dingle Peninsula. I like nature, walking, alone time, drinking, local culture and history.

The rough plan is:

29 Apr - Arrive in Dublin

3 May - Leave Dublin and head to Galway

8 May - Leave Galway and head to Killarney

13 May - Head to airport

Please let me know what are your thoughts/suggestions on how I can improve my itinerary. Thanks!

San Diego

RE: Ireland (29 Apr to 13 May 2017)

by San Diego »

I assume you are flying from the US? In which case there are no flights at all from Cork and only limited services from Shannon. Book your flights first and then plan around them.

Transport in Ireland tends to fan out from Dublin but is far less frequent between other towns and cities. It is therefore easy to get to Galway and Killarney from Dublin by train but less easy to get from Galway to Killarney, there are no through trains, it takes 3 changes of train and around 5 hours to get from one to the other! Bus may be a better way  with just one change at Limerick. 

There are plenty of day tours to Connemara and the Cliffs of Moher, even the Aran Islands on a daily basis from Galway, look at Galway Tours website for a selection. I enjoyed my stay in Galway but not sure you need 5 nights, 3 or 4 would be my suggestion.

The Giants Causeway is not near anywhere in your plans so unless you really want to see it, I would drop it altogether. If you think it is essential, then this trip https://railtoursireland.com/train-tour/giants-causeway-glens-of-antrim/dc10 may be the best you can do.

Killarney also has plenty to offer, Ross Castle and Muckross House are good staring points for walking and The Ring Of Kerry has a multitude of coach trips on a daily basis.

My final suggestion would be to stay longer in Dublin, there is so much to see and so many places along the coast, both north to Howth and south to Dalkey for example, apart from your plans to see Glendalough and possibly Powerscourt if you like gardens that 4 nights is probably too short, not least because on your day of arrival you will be exhausted from the travel. If you have any further questions, please ask!

advertisement