Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Italy & Malta » Padova, Firenze, Pisa e Venezia 2019

Pages:

Padova, Firenze, Pisa e Venezia 2019

by /bio/awinegeek »

Just returned from another great trip to Italy. This trip we traveled with our 13 year old niece. We chose to return to familiar places to reduce chances of unexpected surprises. It was a great experience for all. She is very mature for her age, but often still shy around strangers. We could see her confidence growing after just a day or 2 in country, and it seems to be the type of personal growth experience we were hoping for her. It was a joy for us all, everything we had hoped for.

We visited Padova 4 years ago. It was chosen because it was close to Venice and we thought it wise to go someplace mellow on arrival to rest and recover from jet lag before venturing into the expected crowded melee of Venezia. We discovered that Padova was a lovely town and liked it so much we wanted to return. We also wanted to give a niece at least a small taste of an Italian town now fully dominated by tourism (unlike the rest of this itinerary)

It turns out that our young niece loved Padova. She loved strolling the pretty quiet portico covered streets. She loved the 3 piazze that make up the center of town. We did some shopping in places that weren't just tourist traps. The market was fun, and the parts of Padova that were busy were bustling with students, not tourists, We were the only English speakers at the restaurants we visited, giving me a chance to practice my slightly improving Italian language skills. Although it was obvious that most people we encountered in shops or elsewhere spoke English well enough that we could have managed there with very little knowledge of Italian language. (But one of my favorite things to do in Italy is to practice my Italian)

We all enjoyed the orto botanica (skipped last trip due to foul weather. This year we had a pretty sunny day).We skipped the scrovegni chapel this time, correctly assuming our niece would be indifferent to seeing it. We did tour thorough the beautiful Basillica Sant' Antonio. We popped in to the museum of history of medicine after walking past it to and from the centro from our room.. Lots of fun for a young science geek, with plans of a future medical career. Lots of interactive fun exhibits. We did not make it to tour the Palazzo Bo and see the anatomical theater there.

We returned to the same lovely B&B in Padova, run by a very gentile and kind gentleman, and had another great stay. I think this was part of the pull bringing us back to Padova, and we are so glad we returned.

The food in Padova is similar to Venice, only less expensive. Before the trip I gave my niece an intro to the foods of the Veneto that we would encounter to avoid menu shock when she didn't find red tomato sauce everywhere. (Tuscan primer too). We were pleased that she was adventurous enough to try just about everything. (although she often seek-ed out “safe choices” like gnocchi and lasagna whenever it was available). The list of new foods she was introduced to is long.

She tried octopus, sarde in saor, and scampi saor too, liked bacala montecato a lot, spaghetti nero from seppia ink, polenta, bigoli with anatra (duck) ragu, bigoli with salsa (anchovy and onion sauce), . Also new to her were fish like Orata, and bronzino and romba as well a clams, and she retried and now likes scallops.

For our second lunch in Padova we had “street food” Our niece spotted a Ramen shop, a rare treat for her. We also shared a piadina, and really interesting panini made on steamed foccacia “nuvole” at Violantes deli at the market. Also munched on fresh market peas and strawberries in season.

In Tuscany there was rabbit ragu (liked it enough for her to try again in Venice) , cinghiale ragu, and more.

She had her first tiramisu,and first panna cotta. We also had more gelato and pastries this trip than usual. In Padova we discover pazientina.Yum! And had really good millefoglie. In Florence we became regulars at a pasticceria with the best cremoni? (brioche filled with pastry cream). Lots of good gelato everywhere. One standout was Lavanda: lavender flavored gelato from Perche No in Firenze. She went back for seconds.. perche no?) I also found a new appreciation for pistachio gelato trying many good examples of it this trip.

After 2 sleepy, but very fun days in Padova we took the train to Firenze It was raining, OK for a travel day. On arrival we could all feel the immediate change in “intensity” The bustle of the city was palpable, even in the taxi ride to our apartment. We found Florence to be much busier and more crowded than we remembered from our previous 2 visits in 2010/11. ( and Venice was surprisingly less crowded!). But upon questioning her,it was not so much the crowds in Florence that were less enjoyable, it was the “color”. In her mind's eye, Italy had a certain look. A look of colorful buildings. Florence, while quite beautiful in its own way, to her seemed monochromatic brick and stone, and didn't match her mental picture of “pretty Italy”. For me, it was the crowds. I would have preferred to spend more time in a smaller town.

We stayed in a great location in Florence, near Piazza Santa Croce. So we were easy walking distance to most of the centro, yet also right near the quieter Sant Ambrogio neighborhood, where we had our morning coffee and pastry and a few meals (including our fun experience with Le Cesarine). This part of Florence seems “real” and busy with residents more than tourists.

We had 5 nights total in Florence. The first 2 days were planned and action packed. We saw the David, and thanks mushroom for mentioning the awesome embroidery on the upper floor of the accademia, spectacular. The ancient musical instruments were cool as well. Then another great lunch at noon at Trattoria Mario nearby. Then the mercato where we tasted and bought many cheeses. We shopped a bit (our niece loved OVS, we stopped in at the one in Pisa as well) . In the evening we attended an opera concert at St Mark's English church.

Day 2 was duomo day, climbed the cupola, lucky in timing for perfect weather after a rainy start the day before, then lunch, then the baptistery and the museum of the duomo, (that I enjoyed even more after reading a book on Brunelleschi's dome) and this trip the actual baptistery doors were open for viewing, last trip they were being restored. Then more shopping strolling and gelato. Then we took a taxi up to San Miniato al Monte. This was disappointing because we arrived just before 5 so we could catch the monks Gregorian chant at 530. The place was surprisingly packed because there was a concert going on and just ending, that we were unaware of. Then after the concert we went to the lower level and instead of the usual monks chanting, there were only 2 priests and a small group of singers from the previous concert. They were doing a service to bless the “palm” fronds as it was the day before palm Sunday, but no troupe of monks showed up to chant. And I thought they lived a regimented life, but no show for the chanting on this day. Still cool to see the 1001 year old church and the great view of the city from up there.

Then after a short reprieve back at our apartment we had dinner with our Cesarine. It was a great experience. She and her husband were very kind and lovely people. The food was good, although not rave about outstanding, but all very very good. Her home was lovely with a rooftop terrace that had a 360 view of the city. It was too chilly to eat out there, but we enjoyed a welcome glass of Prosecco up there to take in the view before dinner. (I'll chat more about Le Cesarine later)

We has planned to go to Pisa on Palm Sunday, but it was very rainy, so we wisely switched our plans and went to Pisa on the next day, which as predicted was perfectly warm and sunny. Instead we spent a lazy rainy day in Florence. We all needed to sleep in a bit so it worked out well. Given the choice of many activities, our niece preferred not to care about seeing any of the other “important” sights of Florence. That was fine with us and not at all surprising. She did have appreciation of the art and architecture that she was exposed too, but at age 13, seeing more of that was not a priority. We did have a nice visit to the Galileo museum, She loves science and it was close by and great for a rainy day. Cioccolata calda at Reviore was also prefect. We almost toured the Palazzo Vecchio, but none of us wanted to wait on the line for tickets. So after looking around the beautiful courtyard, Instead we returned to a nearby leather shop we had visited earlier, and Mrs. AWG found a great jacket.

Pisa was wonderful! Aside from the Piazza dei Miracoli, the obvious attraction, Pisa is a really nice town. It was the first place I visited on my first trip to Italy. That time I had very little time there, and jet lag, and did not have the best of impressions. But this trip I really enjoyed everything about Pisa. After an easy 49 minute train ride (regionale veloce) we arrive on a perfect sunny day. Strolled the Corso Italia, and stopped in OVS and a few other shops. Then had a great lunch in Piazza delle Valleglie. Then walked thorough the lovely portico covered Borgo stretta. For some reason my niece just loved the piazza dei Cavalieri. Maybe it was the picture perfect light of the day, or the pleasing sounds of the guitarist parked there. The tower, duomo and baptistery were spectacular of course. And it was way less crowed than the I expected. We spent a good amount of time soaking in the atmosphere, and the welcome warm sunshine too. We were in the baptistery at just the right moment for the demo of the acoustics by a staff singer. Awesome! On our way back we strolled some of the quieter streets of Pisa, had some mini pastries and coffee at Salza, and then gelato enjoyed outside near the Ponte di Mezzo. Great day.

Venice... details coming soon.

RE: Padova, Firenze, Pisa e Venezia 2019

by /bio/chuck-cleveland »

Good report - glad it went well.

by /bio/awinegeek »

We had 3 wonderful days in Venezia. We all felt like we would have loved to have stayed longer. Our niece loved Padova and thought it was “Pretty” but then she saw Venice and fell in Love. The weather was perfect. Brilliant sunny days, but not too hot, highs barely hitting 70, and cool at night. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with a picture perfect terrace overlooking a small canal with gondole floating by. We could have sat there all day and night.

I was a joy to watch her face as we arrived and then took the Vaporetto down the entire length of the grande canal. I felt the same thing on arrival the first time 4 years ago. Wow, Venice is a sight to behold. We stayed in Castello, near San Zaccharia. San Marco and Rialto were of course bustling with tourists, and the route between them, but it was WAY less crowded than my last visit. Maybe just timing of the cruise ships, don't know. But last visit we were at santa Maria Maggiore looking with binoculars and shocked, shocked at the mass of people visible across the canal.

We perfectly timed a visit to the Basillica San Marco. Arriving near the end of the day about 4 PM there was virtually no line and we strolled in with less than 5 minute wait. There was hardly anyone up on the loggia, so we could relax and take in the view from up there un-accosted. We did have much of a planned itinerary and that worked well for us. We wandered ,we strolled, we shopped a bit, we ate a lot.

We popped into places we had no plans to see. The basillica San Giovanni e paolo. Scuola san Marco. We kept ending up at campo Santa Maria Formosa. And the campo san filippo e giacomo. It was a joyous time. Our niece loved walking around, taking pictures of every pretty footbridge and people watching. Her favorite moment of the trip was siting in Campo San Giocomo dell'orio in Santa Croce eating great gelato from Gelateria Natura. We had just had a nice un- planned lunch outside at nearby Trattoria al Ponte del Megio. We then sat on a bench in the campo and ate gelato and watched the people and dogs. Again there was a guitarist playing soft jazz filling the square. We were quite surprised when she said she could stay there all day. Not your typical kid being “bored' without constant activity. She was quite content to do the very adult activity of taking in the atmosphere and enjoying the sweetness of a quiet moment in a beautiful place.

We took our first gondola ride and it was worth it. We chose to go in the morning when all was still quiet. Very little traffic on the small canals. We took the gondola from the small canal right outside our place and rode through Castello, seeing familiar places like Santa Maria Formosa, from the water. Our gondolier had been doing this for 30 years, 3rd generation in his family. It was very pleasant and worth the $ for the experience And It didn't feel awkward, Hoaky or touristy, even though obviously it is a very “touristy” thing to do.

We attended a concerto at the Sale Appoline in Teatro La Fenice. We toured the beautiful theater before the show. Worth seeing for sure. The concert itself was a little disappointing but still a good experience overall. When I had bought the tix the concert was supposed to feature a 19 year old cellist and pianist. The young pianist was there, but the cello was replaced by a 40 year old man. He played fine, but was too formal and strange to enjoy watching. I know our niece would have enjoyed seeing a girl just a few years older than her playing in that room. And the chemistry of the players would have probably been better.

I wish we had more time to explore some of the other beautiful parts of Venice with our niece. (last trip we had 5 days, although Mrs. AWG was sick so our pace was very slow) We tried to get over to dorsoduro by the traghetto but never quite made it there.  I never thought that I would desire another return visit there, but this trip changed that for me. Yes, there were beggars and hucksters on the street. Yes, there were hoards of tourists and trinkets salesman in the busy areas and we could not walk to our rooms without being bombarded by restaurateurs trying to lure us in for “pizza, pasta, spritz, hey give us a try”. But the place is so darn beautiful. And it is really not that hard to get away from the bustle and enjoy the beauty. Yeah, I guess I could go back and enjoy more time in Venice with ease. And I am quite sure it will not be the last visit there for our niece. She now has caught the travel bug, and is planning a lifetime of travel.

by /bio/awinegeek »

Ciao Chuck.

Thanks,

Nice to know there are still a few others hanging around here despite the forum "issues"

AWG

by /bio/awinegeek »

Issues!  Huh, I just noticed there there were 4 versions of this thread posted.  I thankfully was able to delete the excess without deleting this one.

I Love how it says "we're upgrading the Forums!" C'mon, Frommers, get it together.

by /bio/awinegeek »

Issues!  Huh, I just noticed there there were 4 versions of this thread posted.  I thankfully was able to delete the excess without deleting this one.

I Love how it says "we're upgrading the Forums!" C'mon, Frommers, get it together.

by /bio/awinegeek »

by /bio/awinegeek »

Oh Noooooo!!! Not Again.

Hi mushroom.

I did see your post but did not have a chance to reply.  Now it looks like the deletion squad has once again purged all of your contributions to the forum. This is very frustrating.

I hope you can find a way back so we can continue to chat about my recent Italy experience.

I agree that public space for pedestrians is a great thing and one of the things I love about Italy (and Eurpoe in general).  Severly lacking in the USA.  I live in a rural area so I am not ready to give up my car, but I agree that America's "car culture" has shaped our soicety in many ways that are far from ideal.  No turning back now I'm afraid, although I think some cities recognize this and are making some efforts to try to add more spaces for people.  

I also started reading the article you posted re: Venice and tourists this AM.  I just came back to grab the link again and it was gone. I'll find it easy on the Guardian, but geesh, this is ridiculous here on Frommer's.

I hope you can find your way back in here soon.

by /bio/mushroom »

Yes, I've been restored. I still had e-mail addreses to Frommer's folks that I used the last go-round, so it got fixed quickly.  But I am going to try to send a private message to you so if worse comes to worse, and you are looking for advice for a possible future trip to Liguria -- or anywhere in Italy -- you can send me an e-mail.  If private messaging doesn't work, then post here and tell me it didn't work, and we'll figure out some other way of communicating short of publicly posting e-mail addresses. 

I'm glad you were able to see my other posts before they evaporated.  One way or the other, I  -- and I am sure others -- would love to read about your Home Food meal, or any other meals, and your teen shopping excursions (and the leather jacket Mrs AWG bought).  So if you can put up with the problems on this forum, it would be fun to read more about your trip.

Smashingly sunny day today in Italy, although spring is having a hard time getting a toe hold.  

by /bio/mushroom »

hmmm.  Looking all around the site, I don't find an option to send a direct or private message.  If you don't know of one, then maybe going through Twitter would work (I don't have a Facebook account)

Pages:
advertisement