Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Italy & Malta » Short tour of Sicily September 2017

tierneyjohn

Short tour of Sicily September 2017

by tierneyjohn »

We are a family of four - my wife and I and our two daughters (aged 13 and 16) and are looking to take a short, guided tour of Sicily in September.

We arrive in Rome on 21 September and plan to book a flight to Sicily, landing in Palermo arriving around 6pm.

Our proposed itinerary is:

Thursday 21 Sept > transfer from Palermo airport to town (overnight)

Friday 22 Sept > short tour of Palermo, especially Capuchin catacombs > Agrigento (overnight)

Saturday 23 Sept > tour of Valley of Temples > tour of Piazza Armerina > Catania (overnight)

Can someone advise if this tour is possible and the cost please?

We plan to book a tour of Mount Etna separately.

Please advise if the price includes accommodation? We are happy with any suitable accommodation providing it is cheap and clean. We are all healthy and active and have no special travel, medical or dietary needs.

Thank you

John and Cynthia

mushroom

RE: Short tour of Sicily September 2017

by mushroom »

Have you already purchased tickets to Rome, but not yet to Palermo?  If so, be sure to allow plenty of time between flights if you are booking with a different ticket than the one that got you to Rome in case your Rome flight is delayed upon landing or you face long waits passing through immigration or collecting your luggage.

I have never done the type of comprehensive package tour that you are looking for, but I will point out that it is possible for you to see all your destinations independently, and book hotels, without paying for a tour package, but you'd need to be willing to rent a car.  Even without a renting a car it should be possible to use a mix of public transportation and private drivers to get to all your destinations, and then you can book guided tours within your destinations as you like.

People here can help you every step of the way, and so can the forum on Tripadvisor, where a Sicilian woman who styles herself "Vagabonda" is tireless in helping travelers to Sicily, right down to the tiniest detail.  If you want a full package tour she can probably give you several names & contacts, and she is totally honest and would only recommend honest tour packagers.  

advertisement