Thank you for subscribing!
Got it! Thank you!

We're upgrading the Forums!

You can now add or change a profile photo. Simply click on your username above and upload an image. User blogs will be added back very soon.

advertisement

Forums » Japan » Planning a month travel in Japan without a car - Any suggestions on an itinerary - for Spring 2019

Planning a month travel in Japan without a car - Any suggestions on an itinerary - for Spring 2019

by jchatzkel »

My wife and I are planning to spend a month in Japan in the spring of 2019 - without a car.  We would be find using a Japan Rail Pass - but they are for up to 21 days. 

I would appreciate suggestions for an itinerary with visits to main cities and then day trips out from there (Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc.

There are many itineraries for 2 weeks but not much for a month.  This would be the first stop on a round the world year trip.

Thanks,

Jay C

RE: Planning a month travel in Japan without a car - Any suggestions on an itinerary - for Spring 2019

by Gitza »

With a month time, you'll have some good time to enjoy things in deep.

1) Kanto Region: Tokyo, Nikko, Hakone/Fuji Five Lakes

2) Chubu Region: Takayama, Shirakawago, Kanazawa (plus rural Ishikawa Prefecture sites, perhaps Noto Peninsula)

3) Koshin-etsu Region: Nagano's Shibu Onsen, the monkeys of course, and Matsumoto

4) Kansai Region: center of Japan for the most part of its history; Kyoto, Nara, Koyasan, Osaka

5) Sanyo Region: mainly relatively quaint port towns facing the Seto Inland Sea; Kurashiki, Hiroshima, Miyajima

RE: Planning a month travel in Japan without a car - Any suggestions on an itinerary - for Spring 2019

by jchatzkel »

Thanks for your quick response.  We will start exploring your suggestions.  I know Tokyo for a conference for a week a few years ago, so I have a passing familiarity with it, but I do not know the places you mentioned.  I will get back to you after I learn more about them.  We appreciate your giving us so much to work with.  Jay

by MarleySmith »

I and my husband have just come back Australia from Japan, we feel so sorry as we missed the cherry blossom season in the late Mar. Though the time we travelled to Japan (in late Jan), cherry blossom did start blooming in southern areas, however, our tour just travelled in around the central areas so we missed the Hanami festival.

It's gorgeous if you visit Japan in a spring from the late Mar to May for hanami festival. We booked a Japan tour for 16 days, our itinerary started from Tokyo, Matsumoto, Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Nara & ended at Osaka. You may consult our tour itinerary: https://www.asiavacationgroup.com.au/japan-discovery-16-days/

advertisement