Saint Joseph Cathedral Hanoi | Striking example of French colonial architecture | Tourist Information
St. Joseph Cathedral in Hanoi is a must-visit place when you come to Hanoi. Located in the heart of Hanoi, this Neo- Gothic Cathedral is the representative evidence of the French colonial architecture.
Familiarly called by the local as “The Big Church”, Saint Joseph Cathedral was constructed with the architectural style described as resembling the famous cathedral Notre Dame de Paris.
As an oldest church in Hanoi, St. Joseph was one of the first structure built by the French colonist during the expansion in its colonial empire Indochina.
After the retreat of French from North Vietnam in 1954, St. Joseph Cathedral is under the control the Vietnamese Nationalists and suffered decade of persecution, when priests were arrested, church property were seized and expropriated.
B. The Architecture of St.Joseph Cathedral
- 64,5 meters in length, 20,5 meters in width, 31,5 meters in height.
- The façade consists of two towers, square in shape with five bells.
- The twin bell towers with the resemblance to Notre Dame de Paris.
- The exterior walls made of granite stone slabs, yet is stained with pollution with the pass of time.
- Gothic style, tall windows with pointed arches.
- Stained glass windows were produced in France then imported to Vietnam.
- Rib vaulted ceiling.
- Weathered nave with shiny sanctuary made of trimmed wood
- The statue of Virgin Mary kept in palanquin, to the left of the nave.
C. Tourist information:
C.1. Opening hours:
- For Outside visit: all time
- For Inside visit: visitors can only enter the Cathedral in Hanoi in the opening time of ceremonial practice as the following schedule:
- Weekday: 5:30 am and 6:15 pm
- Saturday: 6:00 pm
- Sunday: 5:00 am, 7:00 am, 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm
- Special ceremony is on 19th March every year.
Visitors can easily find St. Joseph Cathedral Hanoi, located at 40 Nhà Chung street, as it lies in the connecting corner of Nhà Chung and Nhà Th? street.
If you have hard time to find the way, A group of volunteer students in Hanoi will take you to St. Joseph Cathedral and many other places in Hanoi. For more information go to: https://hanoifreelocaltours.com/hanoi-free-walking-tour/
C.3. Entrance Fee
Public space and free
Enjoy you trip to Hanoi!