Air Canada Sale to the U.S.
Air Canada (tel. 888/247-2262; www.aircanada.com) has released their latest batch of webSavers. Rules and restrictions vary by route, though travel to many of their US Â?Sun Destinations' is valid through May 24. Tickets must be purchased by 11:59 ET/8:59 PDT on the ticketing deadline date. Certain flights may not be offered on each day of the week. The fares indicated are not valid on seasonal route past the last date the flight operates.
Check our fare details for rules and restrictions specific to each route. Round-trip fares include:
- Toronto to Ft Lauderdale $258
- Toronto to Ft. Myers $298
- Toronto to Los Angeles $478
- Toronto to Miami $198
- Toronto to Phoenix $418
- Toronto to San Diego $578
- Toronto to San Francisco $438
Florida Sale from Vision Airlines
Fly to/from Ft. Walton Beach-Destin, Florida for $38 round-trip (or $19 one-way, you prefer) on Vision Airlines (tel. 877/359-2538; www.visionairlines.com).This offer is good for travel through May 21. No minimum stay required. Sale extended through March 27.
Round-trip foutes include:
- Asheville to Ft. Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Atlanta to Ft. Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Baton Rouge to Ft. Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Columbia to Ft. Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Greenville to Ft. Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Huntsville to Ft Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Knoxville to Ft Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Little Rock to Ft Walton Beach $38, nonstop
- Louisville to Ft. Walton Beach $38, nonstop
50% Promo Code from Direct Air
Direct Air (tel. 877/432-3473; www.visitdirectair.com) is turning 4 years old, and to celebrate they've reduced fares by 50% . This half-off deal is valid for travel through Nov. 10, for bookings made by March 25. Just enter promo code MAR50 at time of purchase and don't forget to use their flexible date search to get the lowest fare!
Round-trip fares include:
- Newark to Myrtle Beach $129
- Columbus to Myrtle Beach $99
- Worcester to Myrtle Beach $129
- Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach $129
- West Palm Beach to Myrtle Beach $98
- Springfield to Myrtle Beach $99
- Worcester to West Palm Beach $129
- Rockford to West Palm Beach $129
- Kalamazoo to Punta Gorda $129
- Toledo to Punta Gorda $149
- Rockford to Punta Gorda $159
Airlines Quietly "Adjust" Checked Bag Fees
What good is a cheap fare if you're socked with crazy high fees to check your bags? These fees can really add up when you're traveling with a family. Recently -- and without much fanfare -- many U.S.-based airlines have increased checked bag fees, and in some cases no longer accept checked bags weighing over 70 pounds on international routes, meaning that any extra-heavy possessions can only be shipped by cargo, which is even more expensive.
Some of the fee changes are relatively small, others not so small. We've got the lowdown, airline by airline, in our blog, and have updated our bag fee chart to reflect these hikes, so take a look before you book your trip!
From the Mailbag: Long Layovers Lead to Lost Luggage?
Q: Recently, my ticket got changed by the airline so that I now have a 4-hour layover between the two legs of my outbound flight. I've heard that it is most common for luggage to be lost when you have long layovers, as they put the luggage aside rather than transporting it to where it needs to go immediately (there's no flight or gate for it to go to yet). I would think too quick a layover would mean the luggage may not make the plane, but is too long a layover a problem, too?
I'm really kind of scared to check a bag now, but I can't imagine lugging around a massive carry-on during a 4-hour layover.
A: Read on.
Additional Reporting by Tracy W. Stewart
George Hobica is a syndicated travel journalist and blogger whose website, www.airfarewatchdog.com, tracks unadvertised airfare wars and fare sales, including the most helpful and always updated Top 50 Airfares.
Talk with fellow Frommer's travelers on our Air Travel Forums today.