August 13, 2003 -- Apparently, discount airline Spirit is bored with their usual low prices. They've enhanced their perpetual online sale by knocking an additional $5 off fares for flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (so that's $10 off if you fly both ways on Tuesdays/Wednesdays.)
Spirit is a solid discount airline, privately-held, with cross-country routes. They don't have the runway-model style of JetBlue, but they're generally on time and very affordable.
Their new Tuesday/Wednesday fares are available for purchase through August 18 for flights between August 19 and November 19. Book online at www.spiritair.com to get these fares or to find more discounted routes.
- New York City to/from Orlando or Fort Lauderdale: $116 including tax
- Atlantic City, NJ to/from Florida, Myrtle Beach or Detroit: $118 + tax
- Chicago to/from Florida: $118 + tax
- Denver to/from Fort Lauderdale: $138 + tax
- New York City to/from Denver or Los Angeles: $188 + tax
These fares are the lowest we've seen, but the rash of sales recently has driven prices down all across the board. If spending $15 more on a Delta Song roundtrip will get you frequent-flier miles you covet, we say go for it, and compare prices by using Orbitz or Expedia. Just remember that those agencies overestimate Spirit's prices by up to $30, so don't trust any Spirit fare you find on sites other than spiritair.com.