A Deal Runs Through It
Viking River Cruises (tel. 877/668-4546; www.vikingrivercruises.com) is offering rates as low as $94 a night for cruises through Europe's charming towns and cities on its 150-passenger river vessels. Reap 2-for-1 savings on select cruises through year-end.
The 2-for-1 pricing starts at $94 per night (or $658 for the week) and is available on the Dec. 24 and 31 departures of the Viking Neptune, Viking Spirit, Viking Sky, or Viking Europe on 7-night cruises between Vienna, Austria, and Nuremberg, Germany on the Danube River. Rates start at $708 ($101 per night) on the Dec. 17 trip, which features visits to traditional holiday markets to buy one-of-a-kind handicrafts. To book at these rates, refer to offer "37Press." A Dec 10 sailing is also available from $1,099 per person on the Viking Neptune. To book at this rate, refer to offer "43Press."
Cruise round-trip out of Frankfurt on 7-night trips that traverse the Rhine and Moselle Rivers on Viking Pride. The 2-for-1 pricing starts at $101 per night (or $708 for the week) and is available on the Nov. 6, 13 and 20 departures. To book at this rate, refer to offer "37Press." Additional sail dates are available from $999 per person on Viking Pride's Nov. 27, Dec. 4, 11 and 18 departures, and from $1,099 on the Oct. 23 and 30 embarkations. To book at this rate, refer to offer "42Press." The cruises that depart on Nov. 27 and all three Dec. dates feature visits to each port's holiday markets.
Fares include all meals and daily tours with English-speaking guides. The vessels have all-outside cabins with phone and TV, plus a restaurant, lounge, sun deck, bar and library.
Free Fly'n and Two for Ones
Save big on 29 sailings on Oceania Cruises' (tel. 800/531-5658; www.oceaniacruises.com) 684-passenger Regatta, Insignia and Nautica in Asia, South America and the Caribbean during the winter of 2006/2007. Free airfare and 2-for-1 cruise fares are being offered on trips ranging from 10 to 35 days in length, with rates starting at low as $1,299 per person (offer expires January 31, 2006).
Here's a sampling of itineraries included in the special pricing:
- Singapore to Hong Kong: 15 Days, calling on Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Hanoi (Ha Long Bay) and Canton (Huangpu). Dec 22, 2006; Jan 6, 2007 (reverse); Jan 21, 2007.
- Bangkok to Beijing: 24 Days, calling on Ko Samui (Thailand), Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Da Nang (Vietnam), Hanoi (Ha Long Bay), Hong Kong, Taipei (Keelung), Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Shanghai and Seoul (Inchon). Feb 20, 2007.
- Hong Kong to Athens/Pireaus: 35 Days, calling on Da Nang (Vietnam), Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Singapore, Phuket, Goa (Mormugao), Bombay, Salalah, Luxor (Safaga), Aqaba, Suez Canal and Cairo (Port Said). April 21, 2007.
- Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires: 10 Days, calling on Ihla Grande (Brazil), Parati (Brazil), Santos (Brazil), Itajaí (Iguaçu Falls), Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil) and Montevideo (Uruguay). Dec 9, 2006.
- Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (Chile): 16 Days, calling on Montevideo (Uruguay), Puerto Madryn (Argentina), Port Stanley (Falkland Islands), Ushuaia (Argentina), Cape Horn, Punta Arenas (Chile), Chilean Fjords, Laguna San Rafael (Chile), Puerto Chacabuco (Chile) and Puerto Montt (Chile). Dec 19, 2006; Jan 4, 2007 (reverse); Jan 20, 2007; Feb 5, 2007 (reverse).
- Manaus to Bridgetown (Barbados): 14 Days, calling on Anavilhanas Archipelago (Brazil), Amazon River, Boca da Valeria (Brazil), Santarem (Brazil), Devil's Island, St. George's (Grenada), and Isla Margarita (Venezuela). March 20, 2007.
- Miami to Miami: 26 Days, calling on Tortola, St. Barts, St. Lucia, Tobago, Amazon River (Macapa), Santarem (Brazil), Boca da Valeria (Brazil), Manaus (Brazil), Parintins (Brazil), Devil's Island, Barbados, Dominica, Antigua, Virgin Gorda, Samaná (Dominican Republic), and Grand Turk (Turks and Caicos Islands). Nov 25, 2006.
- Miami to Miami: 12 Days, calling on Virgin Gorda, St. Barts, Dominica, St. Lucia, Antigua, Tortola, Samaná (Dominican Republic) and Grand Turk (Turks and Caicos Islands). Dec 21, 2006; Feb 13, 2007; March 11, 2007.
Around the World in 111 Days
Radisson's (tel. 800/285-1835; www.rssc.com) 700-passenger Seven Seas Voyager is bound for a whirlwind 111-night world cruise departing from Ft. Lauderdale January 9, 2007. Exploring 45 destinations in 26 countries on five continents, the all-balcony all-suite vessel will head to wonderful locales including Antigua, Barbados, Brazil, St. Helena (United Kingdom), Namibia, South Africa, Mozambique, Kenya, Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, China, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Oman, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Monaco, and Spain. Among the many ports of the world cruise, three will be maiden calls: Maputo (Mozambique), Maura (Brunei) and Colombo (Sri Lanka). There will also be 14 overnights in popular ports.
Reservations for the full 2007 itinerary will open the week of October 24, and sales of six individual segments will be offered in early December. Passengers who book the entire world cruise will reap extras including round-trip first class air from 86 North American gateways; up to $2,000 per suite shipboard credit; luggage delivery service from guests' home to their onboard suite; private car transfers in port of embarkation/disembarkation; a Bon Voyage party and other special events; visa costs for US and Canadian guests residing in North America; full liquor package; and five percent savings for past RSSC full world cruise guests and Seven Seas Society members.
Special world cruise fares include not only all wine, liquor, and soft drinks throughout the cruise, but also tips and a complimentary shore excursion in some ports, including a "Brazilian Celebration in Dance" in Fortaleza; "Dinner Under the Desert Stars" in Walvis Bay; "and Acrobats" in Shanghai." All suites have large marble bathrooms and walk-in closets. Early booking fares (120 days or more before departure) start at $54,995 per person for the entire 111-night voyage.
Calling All Americans
Peter Deilmann Cruises (tel. 800/348-8287; www.deilmann-cruises.com) is enticing Americans to sail its lovely 572-passenger Deutschland in 2006 with free air and 10% discounts on 18 select voyages. The 7- to 21-night sailings traverse the Indian Ocean and southern Africa, the Mediterranean, Norwegian Fjords, the British Isles and Ireland, and the Baltic and Black Seas. A gala onboard music cruise celebrating Mozart's 250th birthday will be offered in October on a two-week cruise from Malaga to Piraeus/Athens. New for 2006 is a 21-night cruise to Greenland.
The savings add up to $1,800 off fares, plus free airfare from 16 U.S. gateways (including New York), free airport/ship transfers and 50% discount on pre-arranged English-language shore excursions. For those who prefer to arrange their own flights, Deilmann will deduct an additional air allowance of $750 per person from cruise rates.
Fares on these 18 special voyages, including the 10% savings, start at $3,249 per person for a twin-bedded cabin; single cabin rates start at $3,561. Port charges are additional starting at $125 per person.
What Travel Agencies Are Offering
Here are some of the best deals a handful of major travel agencies are advertising this week. Cruises are capacity-controlled and offers may be withdrawn at any time. Similar deals may be available from competing online and brick-and-mortar agencies. All rates are per person and include port charges. Rates for the ultra-luxe lines may also include gratuities and some or all beverages.
Chartwell Travel (tel. 800/772-2103; www.chartwelltravel.com)
- NCL Norwegian Dawn: 10-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from New York. From $524, Oct 9 and 19 sailings.
- NCL Norwegian Wind: 10-night Hawaii, round-trip from Honolulu. From $829, Dec 28 New Years sailing.
- Celebrity Infinity: 6-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from San Diego. From $450, Dec 6 sailing.
- Celebrity Horizon: 7-night Bermuda, round-trip from Philadelphia. From $400, Oct 1, 8, & 22 sailings.
- Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas: 9-night Caribbean, round-trip from New York. From $649, Oct 21 sailing.
- NCL America Pride of Aloha: 7-night Hawaii, round-trip from Honolulu with airfare included. From $999, Nov 6, 13 sailings
- NCL Norwegian Star: 7-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from Los Angeles. From $649, Jan 28 sailing.
- MSC Opera: 7-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $545, Jan 14 sailing.
- MSC Lirica 11-night Panama, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $1045, Feb 4, 26 sailings.
Cruise Brothers (tel. 800/827/7779; www.cruisebrothers.com)
- Celebrity Summit: 14-night Hawaii, round-trip from Los Angeles. From $1,740, Oct 14, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Century: 7-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. From $620, Jan 21, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Century: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. From $675, March 19, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Xpedition: 7-night Galapagos, round-trip from Baltra (Ecuador). From $2,600, Sept 10, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Mercury: 7-night Alaska, round-trip from Seattle. From $850, June 2, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Galaxy: 16-night transatlantic, Galveston to Rome/Civettavechia. From $1,050, May 6, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Galaxy: 10-night Europe, round-trip from Rome/Civettavechia. From $1,530, June 2, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Galaxy: 12-night Panama Canal, round-trip from Galveston. From $1,180, Jan 9, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Century: 12-night Europe, round-trip from Amsterdam. From $1,900June 27, 2006 sailing.
- Celebrity Mercury: 4-night Pacific Northwest, round-trip from Seattle. From $350, Sept 18, 2006 sailing.
CruisesOnly (tel. 800/278-4737; www.cruisesonly.com)
- Carnival Conquest: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Galveston. From $529, Jan 8,15,29 sailings.
- Celebrity Constellation: 9-night eastern Caribbean Southbound from Cape Liberty to San Juan. From $650, Nov 10 sailing.
- Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas: 11-night Hawaii eastbound, Honolulu to Ensenada. From $699, Oct 6 sailing.
- NCL Pride of Aloha: 7-night Hawaii, round-trip from Maui. From $749, Nov 12,19 & Dec 3 sailings.
- Holland America Oosterdam 8-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from San Diego. From $999, Dec 30 sailing.
Just Cruisin' Plus (tel. 800/888-0922; www.justcruisinplus.com)
- Holland America Zuiderdam: 7-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $649, Oct 15, Nov 5 and Nov 12 sailings.
- Holland America Maasdam: 10-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Norfolk. From $749, Oct 26 and Nov 16 sailings.
- Holland America Ryndam: 10-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from San Diego. From $799, Nov 17 sailing
- Oceania Regatta: 10-night Trans-Atlantic, from Lisbon to Miami. From $1599, Nov. 17 sailing. Deal includes free airfare and 2-night post-cruise package in Miami.
- Princess Caribbean Princess: 7-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $549, Nov 26 sailing.
- Princess Golden Princess: 7-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from San Juan. From $549, Nov 26 sailing.
- Princess Sapphire Princess: 7-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from Los Angeles. From $549, Nov 26 sailing.
- Windstar Wind Surf: 7-night southern Caribbean, St. Thomas to Barbados. From $1495, Nov 27 sailing
- Oceania Insignia: 12-night Transatlantic, from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro. From $1599, Nov. 27 sailing. Deal includes free airfare and 2-night post-cruise package in Rio.
- Princess Star Princess: 7-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Fort Lauderdale. From $549, Nov 27 sailing
- Windstar Wind Surf: 7-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from Barbados. From $1495, Dec. 4 and Dec. 11 sailings.
Vacation Outlet (tel. 800/690-2210; www.vacationoutlet.com)
- Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas. 4-night Bahamas, round-trip from Port Canaveral. From $249, Dec 12 sailing
- Holland America Volendam. 5-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. From $435, Nov 25 sailing
- Carnival Legend. 8-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. From $649, Nov 25 sailing
- NCL Norwegian Spirit. 11-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from New York. From $699, Nov 27 sailing
- Celebrity Century. 9-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. From $850, Oct 29 & Nov 26 sailings.
Vacation Shoppe (tel. 866/7-CRUISE; www.vacationshoppe.com)
- Silversea Silver Whisper: 9-night southern ultra-luxe Caribbean, Barbados to Ft. Lauderdale. From $2,757, Jan 18 sailing.
- Silversea Silver Shadow: 7-night southern ultra-luxe Caribbean, Barbados to San Juan. From $1,748, Oct 29 sailing.
- Crystal Serenity: 6-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from Los Angeles. From $1,755, Jan 4 sailing.
- Crystal Symphony: 8-night eastern Caribbean, round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. From $1,795, Dec 14 sailing.
- Oceania Regatta: 26-night South America, round-trip from Miami. From $3,399, Nov 25 sailing.
- Oceania Regatta: 10-night southern Caribbean, round-trip from Miami. From $1,229, Jan 2, 2007 sailing.
- Carnival Imagination: 5-night western Caribbean, round-trip from Miami. From $399, Jan 21 sailing.
- Carnival Spirit: 8-night Mexican Riviera, round-trip from San Diego. From $699, Nov 24 sailing.
Do you have a question or comment on this column? Head to our Cruise Message Boards to join in the discussions with fellow Frommer's travelers.