It's February and it's cold. Punxsutawney Phil the groundhog informs us that there are still six more weeks of winter weather coming to the U.S. Thankfully, prices for travel to the Caribbean seem to be getting cheaper. Do you really need more of an incentive?
Every day my inbox gets bombarded with discounted Caribbean trips so here are a few bargains that are hard to pass on no matter how tight your budget is this year.
1. Cheap Caribbean (tel. 800/915-2322; www.cheapcaribbean.com) is eager to sell its Caribbean vacation packages and if you're really quick you can snag a sensational deal on its three-night getaway to the Bahamas. If you can get away soon, you'll travel by February 26, 2009 and pay only $449 plus taxes per person for a package that includes round-trip airfare from Ft Lauderdale, three nights' accommodations in a superior room at the three-star all inclusive Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort on Grand Bahama Island. Fly from Boston from $499 or New York or Chicago from $519. Children are priced from $299 each if sharing with adults. All meals, activities and non-motorized water sports are included and I found these prices available for weekend travel as well. Book now for travel by July 31, 2009 and the cost is only $50 more per person based on double occupancy. These prices represent a saving of up to 60% off their regular winter package rates. The "book by" date is February 9, but Cheap Caribbean often extends its booking deadlines. February 14 and 15 are blackout dates.
2. Also from Cheap Caribbean, book a four-night getaway to Puerto Rico by February 9, 2009 and pay as little as $449 plus tax per person based on double occupancy. For that price you get round-trip airfare from Miami (add $90 from New York or $100 from Atlanta or Washington, D.C.) and four nights' accommodations at the four-and-a-half-star Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort and Spa located in Rio Grande Puerto Rico. The resort features eight restaurants, a water sports center (with wave runners, parasailing, kayaking, sailing, snorkeling, and scuba diving), three separate beachfront swimming pools, two world-class golf courses, a tennis center, a full-service spa and fitness center, a Kids' Club with supervised children's activities, and a 7,000 square foot casino. You can upgrade to an ocean view room for $54 more per person and children sharing a room with adults (maximum four people per room) are priced from $189. Travel is valid from now until June 30, 2009.
3. Book It (tel. 888/782-9722; www.bookit.com) is offering up to 60% off its winter vacation prices to Jamaica. Three nights at the four-star all-inclusive Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa in Ochos Rios including round-trip airfare from Boston is priced from $523 per person plus tax this month. Upgrade to an ocean view room for $42 more per person. From Chicago, the same package, traveling in February is $580 per person. Choose to stay at the three-and-a-half-star Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Jamaica instead and pay as little as $494 per person for the three night package out of Boston and kids two to 12 years old stay, play and eat free. From Miami, the three-night Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort package is priced from $420 per person with kids 12 and under free or you can extend to a seven-night vacation and it will cost you $786 per person. Alternatively try a Costa Rican adventure for a lot less. A three-night vacation staying at the luxurious four-and-a-half-star Punta Islita Hotel on the Nicoya Peninsula is priced at $399 per person plus tax including round-trip airfare from Ft. Lauderdale departing on February 19, 2009. This deal must be booked by February 15, 2009.
4. Vacation Travel Holidays (tel. 877/336-8747; www.vacationtravelholidays.com) has a selection of last minute vacation packages to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic if you are willing to fly out on a specific day. All packages include round-trip airfare, airport transfers, accommodations, all meals and activities at the four-star all-inclusive Iberostar Dominicana Punta Cana with its large choice of restaurants and two enormous lagoon pools which form part of a huge resort complex located on Bavaro Beach. Depart on February 21 or 28, 2009 from Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Boston or New York and pay $899 per person plus tax for a seven-night vacation.
5. Travel By Bob's (tel. 866/504-6180; www.travelbybob.com) current Hot Deals include a seven-night/eight-day Punta Cana vacation priced from $700 per person with various departure dates in February, 2009. Stay at the four-star Grand Paradise Bavaro Resort and Spa and enjoy the all-inclusive amenities like, five bars, four restaurants, two pools and rooms with balconies, all nestled in lush tropical gardens on a white sand beach. Your $700 package includes round-trip airfare from cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Philadelphia or Cincinnati, airport transfers, and all meals and beverages.