Halloween is one of those holidays when everything can seem so predictable--the trick-or-treating, the doling out of candy, the same old costumes--so it's nice when someone comes up with a different idea. We can thank the innovative people at Bedandbreakfast.com for doing just that, offering a room at the inn from just $89 for two persons on Halloween Night.
Many B&Bs across the country are participating in what they're calling SpookyNight specials--at least those with their own ghosts! Here are just a couple samples:
You can stay in a double for $89 per night in the nearly 150-year-old Captain Grant's Inn, located in Poquetanuck, Connecticut. Guests are told that if they hear a loud knock at the door, they can answer it if they like, but don't expect anyone to be there. Those who stay in the Adelaide Room might encounter the mysterious woman and her two children who once lived there, whether it be through the TV turning on and off or by the repeated falling of the shower curtain (Wait a minute, that happens when I put up my own curtain in a new house!). Visit on Halloween and you'll be treated to a cemetery tours as well. In the evening you can share a little spiked cider along with a ghost story or two. For just the night of October 31, 2020, the price per room is $89 to $119. Add a second or third day to your stay, and the Thursday stay is half price. Breakfast is included, of course. Contact them at 800/982-1772 or visit www.captaingrants.com.
Up in the Rockies, the Two Sisters Inn in Manitou Springs, Colorado, has a two-night stay in which the price for two is $230 (taxes not included). For that, you get a "devilish" stay on October 25-26, and two full breakfasts, including a Halloween morning feast. On Friday evening, you take part in cemetery walking tour, and on Saturday you can cheer the entrants in the 7th Annual Emma Crawford Coffin Races, and that evening join a guided walk to "Emma's Favorite Haunts," a guided tour to supposedly haunted places around town. The Inn can be reached at 800/2-SIS-INN (same as 800/274-7466) or online at www.twosisinn.com.
Other haunted homes offering some good spooky fun with your Halloween stay include:
- Snowball Mansion, Knights Landing CA, from $145 base rate per night (530/755-1122, www.snowballmansion.com)
- Glenwood Springs Victorian B&B, Glenwood Springs CO, from $85 (970/945-0517, www.glenwood-colorado-inn.com)
- Washington Street Inn, Key West FL, from $99 (800/TIME4KW, www.time4kw.com)
- Centennial House, St. Augustine FL, from $110 (800/611-2880, www.centennialhouse.com)
- The Sire Hotel Lexington, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Lexington KY, from $220 (859/231-1777, tapestrycollection3.hilton.com/tc/sire-hotel-lexington/)
- Katherine's B&B, Asheville NC, from $105 (888/325-3190, www.katherinesbandb.com)
- Applegate Inn, Dillsboro NC, from $75 (800/353-0377, www.applegatebed-breakfast.com)
- Prospect Hill B&B, Mountain City TN, from $99 (800/339-5084, www.prospect-hill.com)
- Arcorn Inn, Marfa TX, from $65 (915/729-44826 www.bedandbreakfast.com/property/index.aspx?id=150264)
Midwest & Great Lakes
- Empress of Little Rock, Little Rock AK, from $125 (501/374-7966, www.theempress.com)
- Cool Breeze B&B, Evansville IN, from $70 (812/422-9635, www.coolbreezebb.com)
- Inn at Cedar Falls, Logan OH, from $75 (800/65-FALLS, www.innatcedarfalls.com)
- Beechwood Inn, Barnstable MA, from $95 (800/609-6618, www.beechwoodinn.com)
- Angel of the Mountains, Bethlehem NH, from $95 (888/704-4004, www.angelofthemountains.com)
- Sunset Hill House, Sugar Hill NH, from $80 (800/SUN HILL, www.sunsethillhouse.com)
- Catamount B&B, Williston VT, from $75 (888/680-1011, www.catamountoutdoor.com)
For more information on all 27,000 B&Bs under the Bedandbreakfast.com umbrella, go to www.bedandbreakfast.com.