Biking, In-Line Skating & Jogging -- The Hudson-Mohawk Bikeway is a 41-mile path along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, connecting Albany with Schenectady and Troy, with smaller, more manageable paths. It begins in Island Creek Park and continues through Corning Preserve Park (at the end of the Hudson River Way bridge). State Bike Route 9 runs to Hudson Shores Park, near Watervliet. For more information, call tel. 518/458-2161 or pick up a copy of Capital District Regional Bike-Hike Map at the visitor center.
Festivals -- Especially in summer, Albany thrives with public outdoor festivals, many held at the Empire State Plaza. Visit www.albanyevents.org and www.albany.org for more information, as dates and specifics change. Here's a sampling:
- Albany Tulip Festival. Washington Park (early to mid-May; tel. 518/434-2032; www.albany.com/news/tulip-festival.cfm). The city and park bloom with tens of thousands of tulips, a 60-year-old tradition and reflection of the city's Dutch ancestry.
- Albany Alive at Five. Thursday-night free outdoor summer concerts in Albany Riverfront Park (June-Aug; tel. 518/434-2032).
- Price Chopper Fourth of July. Empire State Plaza: fireworks, music, and more.
- Classic Rock, Swing, and Oldies concerts. Empire State Plaza (Wed July-Aug; tel. 518/473-0559; www.ogs.state.ny.us).
- African-American Family Day. Empire State Plaza (first week of Aug; tel. 518/473-0559; www.ogs.state.ny.us).
- Food Festival. Empire State Plaza (mid-Aug; tel. 518/473-0559; www.ogs.state.ny.us).
- Albany LatinFest. Washington Park (late Aug; tel. 518/434-2032).
- Albany Riverfront Jazz Festival. Albany Riverfront Park: outdoor jazz followed by fireworks (early Sept; tel. 518/434-2032).
- Columbus Parade and Italian Festival. Albany Riverfront Park (early to mid-Oct; tel. 518/434-2032).
Golf -- Orchard Creek Golf Club, 6700 Dunnsville Rd., Altamont (tel. 518/861-5000; www.orchardcreek.com), an 18-hole public course, has won accolades from Golf Digest among others for its great course and reasonable fees (greens fees $25-$59). Family-owned Stadium Golf Club, 333 Jackson Ave., Schenectady (tel. 518/374-9104; www.stadiumgolfclub.com), is another 18-hole course, just north of Albany. Greens fees are $27 to $33.
Parks & Gardens -- Washington Park, at State and Willett streets, is where the annual springtime Tulip Festival is held. Corning Riverfront Park is at the west bank of the Hudson, at the end of the Hudson River Way pedestrian bridge.
Winter Sports -- You can ice-skate outdoors at Empire State Plaza (tel. 518/474-2418) and Swinburne Rink (tel. 518/438-2406). The closest downhill skiing is at Ski Windham, Windham (tel. 800/729-7549; www.skiwindham.com), and Catamount, Route 23, Hillsdale (tel. 800/342-1840; www.catamountski.com), on the Massachusetts border in the southern Berkshires.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.