- Best for Business Travelers: All the major downtown megahotels -- which cater largely to a business and convention clientele -- are fully equipped to meet your business needs. The finest is the Ritz-Carlton Atlanta, 181 Peachtree St. NE (tel. 800/241-3333), which combines a full business center and a can-do concierge with superb service.
- Best for Families: The Residence Inn by Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, 2960 Piedmont Rd. NE (tel. 800/331-3131), offers accommodations large enough to ensure privacy for all, plus fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, barbecue grills, and basketball, volleyball, and paddle tennis courts. Many rooms even have fireplaces.
- Best for a Romantic Getaway: You'll fall for each other all over again at the luxurious Four Seasons Hotel, 75 14th St. (tel. 800/819-5053), an elegant choice with lavish guest rooms, luxurious marble tubs, and impeccable service.
- Best Moderately Priced Hotel: It's hard to beat the Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown, 134 Peachtree St. NW (tel. 800/331-3131). It offers a convenient location, large rooms, and a bundle of amenities for a very reasonable price.
- Best Inexpensive Accommodations: It's nothing fancy, but the convenient Buckhead location of the Country Inns & Suites, 800 Sidney Marcus Blvd. (tel. 800/596-2375), makes this a good deal.
- Best Location: Buckhead is one of the loveliest -- and busiest -- parts of town, offering exceptional nightlife, dining, and shopping. There are two MARTA stations (Buckhead and Lenox) where you can connect to other parts of the city, and any hotel within walking distance of either of those stations is a sure bet. A good example is the JW Marriott Hotel Buckhead, 3300 Lenox Rd. NE (tel. 800/613-2051), adjacent to the upscale Lenox Square mall.
- Best Service: The Mansion on Peachtree, 3376 Peachtree Rd. NE (tel. 888/767-3966), takes the cake when it comes to guest service, employing three staff members to every overnight guest. Where else does a private butler come with every hotel room? The Ritz-Carlton Atlanta, 181 Peachtree St. NE (tel. 800/241-3333), and the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead, 3434 Peachtree Rd. NE (tel. 800/241-3333), are tied for a close second.
- Best Architectural Digest Interior: The towering Grand Hyatt Atlanta, 3300 Peachtree Rd. (tel. 800/233-1234), offers a stunning combination of 18th-century American architecture and Japanese attention to aesthetic detail. A 9,000-square-foot garden features waterfalls viewable from the lobby overlook.
- Best Trendy Hotel: Atlanta's four W Hotels (more than any other city outside New York) are trendy, but the W Atlanta Midtown, 188 14th St. (tel. 877/822-0000), with its popular lobby bar, is definitely the trendiest. The Westin Buckhead Atlanta, 3391 Peachtree Rd. NE (tel. 404/365-0065), with its clean Euro-modern style, is a favorite among visiting celebrities.
- Best for Travelers with Disabilities: The Embassy Suites Atlanta Buckhead, 3285 Peachtree Rd. NW (tel. 800/362-2779), is fully accessible, with 10 suites completely equipped for visitors with disabilities (some with roll-in showers, too). The hotel is just a block away from the Buckhead MARTA station.
- Best for Pets: Some hotels get downright snooty if you try to check in with your pooch, but not the trendy Hotel Indigo, 683 Peachtree St. (tel. 404/874-9200). All pets are welcome -- no fees, no weight limit. If you're in town on Tuesdays, don't miss Canine Cocktail Hour in the bar.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.