Martin Luther stayed in this former Carmelite monastery in 1518 when he was called to Augsburg to recant his revolutionary 95 Theses before a papal emissary. Even without this historic provenance, the church is a treasure, containing paintings by Lucas Cranach (who was a friend of Luther and spent time in Augsburg), the chapel of Augsburg’s beneficent Fugger family, and the Goldschmiedekapelle (Goldsmith’s Chapel), where the eponymous donors are buried, surrounded by frescoes depicting Herod ordering his high priests to find Christ. Augsburg’s city market is next to the church.