This ancient bridge, which was immortalized in the song "Sur le pont d'Avignon, l'on y danse, l'on y danse," was far too narrow to dance upon, as the rhyme suggests. More likely locals danced on the riverbank below it -- sous le pont. Spanning the Rhône and connecting Avignon with Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, the bridge is now a ruin, with only 4 of its original 22 arches. The bridge was built between 1177 and 1185 and suffered various disasters. (In 1669, half of it fell into the river.) On one of the piers is the two-story Chapelle St-Nicolas -- one story in Romanesque style, the other in Gothic. A visit to the small chapel on the bridge is part of the overall admission fee.