- New Providence Island: The waters around New Providence teem with game fish. In-the-know fishermen long ago learned the best months to pursue their catch: November to February for wahoo found in the reefs, June and July for blue marlin, and May to August for the oceanic bonito and blackfin tuna. Nassau, in particular, is ideal for sportfishing. Most boat charters allow passengers to start fishing within 15 minutes after leaving the dock. The best outfitter is Born Free Charters. Anchoring and bottom-fishing are also options.
- Grand Bahama Island: The tropical waters along Grand Bahama lure anglers in search of "the big one" because this is home to some of the biggest game fish on earth. Off the coast, the clear waters are good hunting grounds for snapper, grouper, yellowtail, wahoo, barracuda, and kingfish. Many fishermen catch dolphin (the mahimahi kind, not Flipper). And Deep Water Cay is a fishing hot spot. The best outfitter is Reef Tours.
- Treasure Cay (Abacos): Some of the best fishing grounds in the Abacos are in the sea bordering this remote island. At Treasure Cay Marina, fishermen from all over the world hire experienced skippers to take them out in search of barracuda, grouper, yellowtail, snapper, tuna, marlin, dolphinfish, and wahoo. Deep-sea, bottom-, and drift-fishing are yours for the asking. The cay's own bonefish flats are just a short boat cruise from the marina.
- Green Turtle Cay (Abacos): The deep-sea fishing possibilities off the coast of this cay draw anglers from all over the world. An abundance of giant game fish as well as tropical fish live in these beautiful waters. Both dedicated fishermen and more casual anglers come to the little island seeking yellowfin tuna, a few dolphinfish, and big-game wahoo, among other catches. Green Turtle Cay also has some of the best fishing guides in The Bahamas, weather-beaten men who've spent a lifetime fishing the surrounding waters. Green Turtle Club is the best place to hook up with one of these guides.
- The Exumas: Anglers from all over the U.S. descend on this beautiful archipelago for deep-sea fishing or bottom-fishing. Fishermen hunt for kingfish, wahoo, dolphinfish, tuna, and bonito in the deepest waters off the coastline. Many visitors also fly here just to go bonefishing. Among the outfitters who can hook you up is Club Peace & Plenty, which rents the necessary equipment and can arrange for experienced guides to accompany you.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.