Founded in 1771 by Archbishop Richard Robinson, the library has an inscription in Greek above its door that translates as "the Medicine Shop for the Soul." As small-town libraries go, this one is exceptional, as it contains Robinson's collection of 17th- and 18th-century books, engravings, and maps, as well as a 1726 first edition of Gulliver's Travels annotated by Swift himself. It was stolen in a robbery in 1999, but recovered 2 years later and returned to its rightful home.