Built in 1180 by John de Courcy, this massive Norman keep was Ireland’s first real castle, designed to loom darkly over the entrance to Belfast Lough. Centuries later, its defensive location would prove prophetic, as William of Orange landed here on June 14, 1690 en route to the Battle of the Boyne. The central part dates to the 12th century, the thick outer walls were completed 100 years later, and the gun ports are a comparatively new addition (only 400 years old). The outside is more impressive than the inside, which has been largely outfitted to trigger kids’ interests, with waxwork figures riding horses, threatening to shoot people over the walls, et cetera. Sometimes actors in medieval costume add a touch of hammy fun. The castle has a visitor center and a small museum. In the summer, medieval banquets, a medieval fair, and a crafts market all add a touch of play and pageantry.
Marine Highway, Carrickfergus, BT38 7BG
Our Rating Hours Apr–Sept Mon–Thurs 8:30am–5pm, Fri–Sat 8:30am–8pm, Sun 9:30am–8pm; Oct–March daily 10am–4pm. Last admission 30 min. before closing Phone 028/9335-1273 Prices Admission £5 adults; £3 seniors, students, and children; £13 families Other Carrickfergus is on A2, 12 miles northeast of Belfast
MapMarine Highway, Carrickfergus, BT38 7BG Belfast
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.