Built of local stone, this is the largest secular medieval hall still standing in Norway, though its days of glory are long gone. Once it was the political and social center of the 13th-century kingdom of Norway. Erected between 1247 and 1261, it took its name from its first builder, Håkon Håkonsson. It was used in 1261 as the setting for the wedding and coronation of King Magnus Lagabøte, Håkon's son and co-ruler. By 1520, it had degenerated to a storage depot. Don't expect any great array of artistic treasures here: The hall has had a rough life. It was damaged in a 1944 fire caused by the explosion of an overloaded Nazi munitions ship and was later restored. (The explosion damaged nearly every building in Bergen and sent the ship's anchor flying almost to the top of a nearby mountain.) Guided tours are conducted hourly; call in advance to confirm. The Great Hall is also used for concerts and performances.