- Shipwright Inn (Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; tel. 888/306-9966 or 902/368-1905): This in-town, nine-room B&B is within easy walking distance of all of the city's attractions yet has a settled and pastoral feel. It's informed by a Victorian sensibility without being over the top about it.
- Banberry House (St. John's, Newfoundland; tel. 877/579-8226 or 709/579-8006): This centrally located B&B boasts stained glass from 1892 by the same craftsman who worked on a nearby basilica. It is full of carefully preserved historical authenticity, and the breakfast features local delicacies made on-site, with the menu changing daily.
- Beild House (Collingwood, Ontario; tel. 888/322-3453 or 705/444-1522): On Fridays, you can sit down to a splendid five-course dinner before retiring to the bed that belonged to the duke and duchess of Windsor. A sumptuous breakfast will follow the next morning. This handsome 1909 house contains 11 rooms, 7 with private bathrooms.
- Banff Boutique Inn (Banff, Alberta; tel. 403/762-4636): A local couple with a passion for inn-keeping have turned an old-fashioned building (originally built as a European-style pension in 1943) into a lovely inn, with modern decor and mountain hospitality. The excellent breakfast spread includes a wide variety of home-baked goodies and is served in a cozy room with contemporary works by local artists.
- The Albion Manor (Victoria, British Columbia; tel. 877/389-0012): Recent renovations have worked miracles, transforming this 1892 heritage house into an art-inspired home. The artist-owners have a background in staging international expos, so decor incorporates whimsical sculptures (sometimes edgy and always theatrical), Victorian-era antiques, and well-traveled pieces from Morocco to Papua New Guinea for an eclectic, one-of-a-kind ambiance. Nearly every item has a story. Guest rooms, beds, and lounges are exceptionally comfortable, with intriguing items.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.