This 19th-century Byzantine-style church is unexpectedly (perhaps dubiously) one of the city’s most romantic spots, as it holds the relics of St. Valentine. The pieces of bone are believed to be authentic; they were given to the church by Pope Gregory XVI in 1836. They’re kept in a casket on an altar to the right of the main altar, but once a year (on St. Valentine’s Day, of course), they are carried out in procession for a special Mass. The church also holds an icon known as Our Lady of Dublin, a 15th-century woodcarving that, in 1824, was rescued from a nearby farm where it had been used as a pig trough.
Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church
56 Aungier St., Dublin 2
Our Rating Hours Mon, Wed, Fri 7:30am–6pm; Tues 7:30am–9pm; Sat 7:30am–7pm; Sun 7:30am–8pm Transportation Bus: 16, 16A, 19, 19A, 83, 122, or 155 Phone 01/475-8821 Prices Free admission
Map56 Aungier St., Dublin 2 Dublin
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.