advertisement

Palazzo Bianco (the White Palace) can be considered the oldest and, at the same time, the most recent of the magnificent buildings fronting the “Strada Nuova.” It was built during the mid-16th century by Luca Grimaldi, a member of one of the most important Genovese families. Yet the gorgeoous white facade one sees today was actually reconstructed in the 18th century. Maria Durazzo Brignole-Sale de Ferrari donated both the palace and her art collection to the city in 1884. Her preference for painters of Spanish and Flemish schools is obvious. Van Dyck, Rubens, Filippino Lippi, Veronese, and Caravaggio all are represented here but the museum’s most notable holding is “Portrait of a Lady,” by Lucas Cranach the Elder. A small rooftop terrace offers (for a fee of 3€) panoramic views of the city.