The waterfront location of St. Nicholas is an appropriate one for a basilica dedicated to the patron saint of mariners and children. It dates at least to 1538, the year in which the Patriarch of Jerusalem makes mention of it. The current basilica, which was constructed in the courtyard of the ruins of the earlier church, dates only to 1837. It served as the metochion to the Vatopedi Monastery of Mt. Athos (Aynaroz in Turkish or Agion Ores in Greek). The feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated here every December 6.