See for information on how to obtain a passport. For other information, please contact the following agencies:

  • For Residents of Australia -- Contact the Australian Passport Information Service at tel. 131-232, or visit the government website at
  • For Residents of Canada -- Contact the central Passport Office, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Ottawa, ON K1A 0G3 (tel. 800/567-6868;
  • For Residents of Ireland -- Contact the Passport Office, Department of Foreign Affaires, 80 St. Stephens Green, Dublin 2 (tel. 01/478-0822;
  • For Residents of New Zealand -- Contact the Passports Office at tel. 0800/225-050 in New Zealand or 04/474-8100, or log on to
  • For Residents of the United Kingdom -- Visit your nearest passport office, major post office, or travel agency or contact the United Kingdom Passport Service at tel. 0300 222 0000 or search its website at
  • For Residents of the United States -- To find your regional passport office, either check the U.S. State Department website or call the National Passport Information Center's toll-free number (tel. 877/487-2778) for automated information.


For information about U.S. visas go to and click on "Visas." Or go to one of the following websites:

  • Australian citizens can obtain up-to-date visa information from the U.S. Embassy Canberra, Moonah Place, Yarralumla, ACT 2600 (tel. 02/6214-5600) or by checking the U.S. Diplomatic Mission's website at
  • British subjects can obtain up-to-date visa information by calling the U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line (tel. 44 020 7499 9000) or by visiting the "Visas to the U.S." section of the American Embassy London's website at
  • Irish citizens can obtain up-to-date visa information through the Embassy of the USA Dublin, 42 Elgin Rd., Dublin 4, Ireland (tel. 353/1-668-8777), or by checking the "Visas to the U.S." section of the website at
  • Citizens of New Zealand can obtain up-to-date visa information by contacting the U.S. Embassy New Zealand, 29 Fitzherbert Terrace, Thorndon, Wellington (tel. 644/462-6000), or get the information directly from the website at


Every visitor more than 21 years of age may bring in, free of duty, the following: (1) 1 liter of wine or hard liquor; (2) 200 cigarettes, 100 cigars (but not from Cuba), or 3 pounds of smoking tobacco; and (3) $100 worth of gifts. These exemptions are offered to travelers who spend at least 72 hours in the United States and who have not claimed them within the preceding 6 months. It is forbidden to bring into the country almost any meat products (including canned, fresh, and dried meat products such as bullion, soup mixes, etc.). Generally, condiments including vinegars, oils, spices, coffee, tea, and some cheeses and baked goods are permitted. Avoid rice products, as rice can often harbor insects. Bringing fruits and vegetables is not advised, though not prohibited. Customs will allow produce depending on where you got it and where you're going after you arrive in the U.S. International visitors may carry in or out up to $10,000 in U.S. or foreign currency with no formalities; larger sums must be declared to U.S. Customs on entering or leaving, which includes filing form CM 4790. For details regarding U.S. Customs and Border Protection, consult your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or U.S. Customs (

For information on what you're allowed to bring home, contact one of the following agencies:

  • U.S. Citizens: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20229 (tel. 877/287-8667;
  • Canadian Citizens: Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/622-6232 in Canada, or 204/983-3500;
  • U.K. Citizens: HM Customs and Excise at tel. 0845/010-9000 (020/8929-0152 from outside the U.K.), or consult their website at
  • Australian Citizens: Australian Customs Service at tel. 1300/363-263, or log onto
  • New Zealand Citizens: New Zealand Customs, The Customhouse, 17-21 Whitmore St., P.O. Box 2218, Wellington (tel. 04/473-6099 or 0800/428-786;

Medical Requirements

Unless you're arriving from an area known to be suffering from an epidemic (particularly cholera or yellow fever), inoculations or vaccinations are not required for entry into the United States.

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.