advertisement

The Avenida Palace first opened in 1892 as a typical grand hotel in the European fin-de-siècle style. Full of atmosphere, the hotel hosted well-heeled refugees from the Spanish Civil War, undercover agents during World War II, and stars of screen and stage in the '50s and '60s. It later fell on hard times, but was given a complete facelift in 2009 that restored the historical landmark to its full glamor. The neoclassical landmark is strategically located between Rossio square and the start of Avenida da Liberdade, close to all the city center attractions. The public rooms are glittering confections of gilt, crystal, and marble. An English-style bar in hard wood and worn leather is famed for its cocktails, and 5 o'clock tea with scones is served by white-coated waiters in the palatial main salon. Up the spectacular five-story stairwell, the rooms are decorated in light colors, with antique furnishings and old-master prints. A genuine classic in the heart of the city.