Next to the National Army Museum, this grand old institution was founded as a home for veterans by King Charles II in 1682, and completed by Sir Christopher Wren 10 years later. It consists of a main block containing the hall and the chapel, flanked by east and west wings. There's been little change to Wren's design, except for minor work done by Robert Adam in the 18th century and the addition of stables by Sir John Soane in 1814. Today, the hospital is still home to around 350 veterans, known as Chelsea Pensioners, who make use of various facilities, including extensive gardens (the setting for the annual Chelsea Flower Show), and wear their distinctive red uniforms and tricorne hats on ceremonial occasions. The small on-site museum tells the story of the building and its pensioners.