Of special interest to history buffs, tiny Plaza de la Villa holds some of the city’s oldest extant buildings. The plaza has been the site of city government since medieval times, and the Casa de la Villa, the old town hall, is located here. The original medieval structure was rebuilt in Renaissance style in 1645, and modified again when Spanish baroque became the rage. Subsequent modifications, including a stained glass roof over the courtyard, continued to gild the lily. A free tour in both Spanish and English is offered at 5pm on Mondays. The highlight is Goya’s painting, La Alegoria de Madrid, which personifies the city as a woman standing next to the municipal coat of arms.
Casa de la Villa
Plaza de la Villa, 4–5
Our Rating Hours Mon 5pm Transportation Metro: Opera. Bus: 3 or N16 Phone 91-588-10-00 Web site Casa de la Villa Other Free admission
MapPlaza de la Villa, 4–5 Madrid
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.