La Manquita, or the “one-armed lady”--because its second bell tower was never finished, that’s the nickname for the cathedral, which collapses a lot of history into one hulking mass of stone. It sits at the foot of the Alcazaba on the former site of the mosque. The symbolism of obliterating an Islamic house of worship to construct a Catholic one was not lost on the Spanish royalty, who took back Málaga from the Moors in 1487. Construction of the cathedral didn’t begin until 1528, and the builders finally threw up their hands in 1782. Skip the guided tour, but step inside briefly to see the 17th-century choir stalls carved of mahogany and cedar. The 40 images of saints are largely the work of Pedro de Mena, one of Spain’s most celebrated wood sculptors.
- Frommer's Staff