By Car

Most visitors to Montana travel the state in a car. In fact, in some areas, it's a necessity. Planes, trains, and buses do not cover many areas of the state.

Before you set out on a road trip, you might want to join the American Automobile Association (AAA; tel. 800/222-4357;, which has hundreds of offices nationwide. The Billings office is located at 3320 4th Ave. N. (tel. 406/248-7738), and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:30pm. AAA also has offices in Missoula (tel. 406/542-5008), Bozeman (tel. 406/586-6156), Helena (tel. 406/447-8100), Great Falls (tel. 406/727-2900), Cheyenne (tel. 307/634-8861), and several other locations. Members receive excellent maps and emergency road service, and AAA will help you plan an exact itinerary.

If you're visiting from abroad and plan to rent a car in the United States, keep in mind that foreign driver's licenses are usually recognized in the U.S., but you may want to consider obtaining an international driver's license.

By Plane

There is regional air service between cities in Montana and Wyoming, but your options are limited, and you'll almost always need a rental car.

Some large airlines offer transatlantic or transpacific passengers special discount tickets under the name Visit USA, which allows mostly one-way travel from one U.S. destination to another at very low prices. Unavailable in the U.S., these discount tickets must be purchased abroad in conjunction with your international fare. This system is the easiest, fastest, cheapest way to see the country, but you'll likely still need a rental car after landing in Montana and Wyoming.

By Train

International visitors can buy a USA Rail Pass, good for 15, 30, or 45 days of unlimited travel on Amtrak (tel. 800/872-7245; The pass is available online or through many overseas travel agents. Visit Amtrak's website for the cost of travel within the western or northwestern United States. Reservations are generally required and should be made as early as possible. Regional rail passes are also available. Note: Keep in mind that Wyoming has no train service.

By Bus

Greyhound (tel. 800/231-2222; is the sole nationwide bus line. International visitors can obtain information about the Greyhound North American Discovery Pass. The pass, which offers unlimited travel and stopovers in the U.S. and Canada, can be obtained from foreign travel agents or through Rimrock Stages (tel. 800/255-7655; operates intrastate service in Montana.

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.