With its striking red and gray façade, this church was built in 1385 for the Brancaccio family and reworked in the 18th century. It merits a visit for its Funerary Monument of Cardinal Rinaldo Brancaccio, created in Pisa between 1426 and 1427, and shipped by sea to Naples. It is believed that Donatello carved the bas-relief of the Assumption; it is the great Florentine sculptor's only work in Naples. The two portals to the right of the presbytery, one from the 14th and the other from the 16th century, are also noteworthy.
The Church of Sant'Angelo a Nilo gets its name from the Greek-Roman Statue of the Egyptian god Nile that stands in the small square near the church. Originally carved for merchants from Alexandria who worked in the area, the statue was lost for centuries and was recovered in the 1400s. In typical Neapolitan spirit, the statue of the river god, with his babies representing the river tributaries, was interpreted as a representation of motherly Naples, nourishing its children; hence the nickname still in use today among the locals -- cuorp'e Napule or "body of Naples." The statue's head was a 17th-century addition.