Though it may seem odd to take time out of your vacation to do what you do at home—watch TV—it’s the behind-the-scenes elements that make the experience here: the scurrying grips and cameramen, the "warm-up act" before the show, and seeing what the host does when the camera isn’t on.
Attending tapings is a very popular activity, so it’s important that you request tickets far in advance. In fact, 6 months ahead of time is not too early. If you can’t plan that far ahead, or are rejected for an advance seat, all hope is not lost—stand-by seats are distributed for most shows. To snag one of these, you’ll need to get up early and do a lot of waiting around, but many people on the stand-by list do get in. One warning: Stand-by tickets are given out by person, not by couple, so if you’re traveling with someone else, both of you have to brave the line to attend the show.
Some shows to try and see:
- Good Morning America: http://1iota.com/Show/379/Good-Morning-America
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: www.lastweektickets.com (the ticket lottery here takes place 2−4 weeks in advance of tapings)
- Late Night with Seth Myers: Go to http://1iota.com/show/461/Late-Night-with-Seth-Meyers to sign up for a ticket. Usually you apply a month in advance and are alerted as to the availability of tickets two weeks prior.
- Live with Kelly and Ryan: www.kellyandryan.com/tickets
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee: https://www.theblacklistnyc.com/ffshow.htm
- Rachael Ray: www.rachaelrayshow.com/show-info/be_in_the_audience (Tues, Weds & Thurs tapings)
- Saturday Night Live: send e-mail in August only to email@example.com
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: www.showclix.com
- The Dr. Oz Show: www.doctoroz.com/get-show-tickets (show on hiatus May−mid-August)
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: http://colbert.1iota.com/show/536/The-Late-Show-with-Stephen-Colbert
- The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon: www.tonightshowtix.com
- The View: http://1iota.com/Show/385/The-View
- The Wendy Williams Show: http://www.wendyshow.com/tickets/get-tickets
To see the Today Show, simply get up at dawn and head over to Rockefeller Center. You’ll see where the crowds are that day.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.