In 1680, Louis XIV announced the birth of a company of actors, chosen by himself, with the aim of “making theater productions more perfect.” Some 300 years later, it is still considered by many the crème de la crème of the French theater scene. In addition to the gorgeous just-restored main theater (Salle Richelieu), the company presents its offerings in its two other theaters: the medium-size Théâtre du Vieux Colombier, 21 rue du Vieux Colombier, 6th arrond. (Métro: St-Sulpice or Sèvres–Babylone) and the smaller Studio-Théâtre, Galerie du Carrousel du Louvre, under the Pyramid, 99 rue de Rivoli, 1st arrond. (Métro: Palais Royal–Musée du Louvre).
- Anna Brooke