One of the largest town halls in Italy, this palazzo was started in the 1290s and expanded in 1443. Inside are the Collegio del Cambio and the Galleria Nazionale . The far end of the building has the oldest facade, with an off-center main portal (opposite the cathedral), from which spills a fan of steps. At their top are a small terrace and the palazzo's first entryway, topped by bronze copies of the Perugian griffin and the Guelph lion. Through the door is the Sala dei Notari, a long rectangular room supported by eight large arches, formerly a citizens' assembly chamber and now used for public lectures and concerts. Matteo Tassi repainted much of it in 1860 with the coats of arms of Perugia's podestà (mayors) from 1297 to 1424, but in the spandrels of the arches remain the Old Testament and mythological scenes painted in 1297 by a follower of the Roman master Pietro Cavallini. Today the Palazzo is home to the Galleria Nazionale delle Umbria.