This Catholic church ("Christ the King," in Spanish), a huge adobe structure, was built in 1940 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Coronado's exploration of the Southwest. Parishioners did most of the construction work, even making adobe bricks from the earth where the church stands. The local architect John Gaw Meem designed the building, in missionary style, as a place to keep some magnificent stone reredos (altar screens) created by the Spanish during the colonial era and recovered and restored in the 20th century.