This palace south of the cathedral was built from 1732 to 1742 for the Prince-Bishop of Strasbourg, the illegitimate son of Louis XIV. Echoing Parisian Rococo style, it is noted for its facades and sumptuous interior, making it one of the crowning design achievements in eastern France. Impressive works by Rubens, Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Goya, and Renoir are displayed on the first floor fine-arts museum (Musée des Beaux-Arts). On the main floor is a decorative-arts museum featuring ceramics and the original machinery of the cathedral’s first astronomical clock. An archaeological museum on site has precious artifacts excavated from nearby digs, with a focus on art and utilitarian objects from the Roman and early medieval eras.