This 217m (712-ft.) tower, capped with a red-and-white transmitter, soars above a forested hillock south of Stuttgart. It was designed and built in 1956 using radically innovative applications of aluminum and prestressed reinforced concrete, and served as a prototype for larger towers in Toronto and Moscow. Acrophobes can dine in the restaurant at the tower's base, while height seekers will find a cafe, bar, restaurant, observation platform, and information about the tower's construction at the top of a 150m (490-ft.) elevator. Food is served daily 10am to 8pm. Look outside for the mobile platforms used by window washers.