Entry Requirements

All travelers entering Taiwan require confirmed return air tickets or proof of onward travel.

For U.S. citizens, all U.S. passport holders will be allowed to enter Taiwan without a visa for up to 90 days if their passport is valid throughout their intended length of stay and the traveler has a confirmed return air ticket or proof of onward travel. Travelers must have already met any additional visa requirements for the next destination, if applicable. (Note that most other countries in the region require that a U.S. passport be valid for at least six months from arrival. Travelers also have the additional option of applying for and receiving a Taiwan visa prior to arrival in Taiwan. The processing fee is US$160. For specific information about entry requirements, travelers should contact the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) (4201 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20016-2137; tel. 202/895-1800; www.taiwanembassy.org).

Further entry requirements include:

U.K. nationals: British citizens may stay in Taiwan for up to 90 days without a visa, and extend this by another 90 after entering Taiwan. If a passport is endorsed with other than British Citizen, a visa is required.

Canadians: Canadian nationals may stay in Taiwan for up to 90 days without a visa and extend this by another 90 after entering Taiwan.

Australians: Australian nationals may stay in Taiwan for up to 90 days without a visa.

New Zealanders: No visa is required for a stay of up to 90 days.

Irish nationals: Irish nationals may stay in Taiwan for up to 90 days without a visa.

Passports & Visas

Allow plenty of time before your trip to apply for a passport; processing normally takes 3 weeks but can take longer during busy periods (especially spring). And keep in mind that if you need a passport in a hurry, you'll pay a higher processing fee. If a visa is required, obtain it from the appropriate foreign consular representative of the country you are planning to visit before proceeding abroad. Allow sufficient time for processing your visa application, especially if you are applying by mail. Processing and visa fees vary, and most fees may not be refundable.

For an up-to-date, country-by-country listing of passport and visa requirements around the world, go to the "Foreign Entry Requirement" Web page of the U.S. State Department at http://travel.state.gov.

Passport Application Information

For Residents of Australia: YYou can pick up an application from your local post office or any branch of Passports Australia, but you must schedule an interview at the passport office to present your application materials. Call the Australian Passport Information Service at tel. 131-232, or visit the government website at www.passports.gov.au.

For Residents of Canada: Passport applications are available at travel agencies throughout Canada or from the central Passport Office, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Ottawa, ON K1A 0G3 (tel. 800/567-6868; www.cic.gc.ca).

For Residents of Ireland: You can apply for a 10-year passport online at www.dfa.ie/passports/ or at the Passport Office at 42-47 Mount Street Lower, Dublin (tel. 01/671-1633). Those under age 18 and over 65 must apply for a 5-year passport. You can also apply at 1A South Mall, Cork (tel. 021/272-525) or at most main post offices.

For Residents of New Zealand: You can pick up a passport application at any New Zealand Passports Office or download it from their website. Contact the Passports Office at tel. 0800/225-050 in New Zealand or 04/474-8100, or log on to www.passports.govt.nz.

For Residents of the United Kingdom: To pick up an application for a standard 10-year passport (5-yr. passport for children under 16), visit your nearest passport office, major post office, or travel agency or contact the United Kingdom Passport Service at tel. 0300/222-0000 or search its website at www.gov.uk.

For Residents of the United States: Whether you're applying in person or by mail, you can download passport applications from the U.S. State Department website at http://travel.state.gov. To find your regional passport office, either check the U.S. State Department website or call the National Passport Information Center toll-free number (tel. 877/487-2778) for automated information.

Medical Requirements

Facilities and Health Information: Health facilities in Taiwan are adequate for routine and emergency medical treatment. Physicians are well trained; in fact, many have studied in the U.S. and speak English. State-of-the-art medical equipment is available at many clinics and hospitals. Ambulances are available in Taiwan but are not like those in the U.S.: There are no trained emergency medical technicians accompanying an ambulance, unless within it's 2km of National Taiwan University Hospital or Veterans General Hospital.

Information on vaccinations and other health precautions, such as safe food and water precautions and insect bite protection, may be obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's hotline for international travelers at tel. 800-CDC-INFO or on the CDC website at wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel.

Medical Insurance: Doctors and hospitals in Taiwan expect immediate cash payment for health services. The U.S. State Department strongly urges Americans to consult with their medical insurance company prior to traveling abroad to confirm whether their policy applies overseas and if it will cover emergency expenses such as a medical evacuation. If not, it's a good idea to consider buying medical insurance for your trip. Keep in mind that most U.S. Medicare and Medicaid programs do not provide payment for medical services outside the country.

For information, contact one of the following popular insurers: 

  • Travel Guard International (tel. 800/826-4919; www.travelguard.com)


  • Travel Insured International (tel. 800/243-3174; www.travelinsured.com)


  • Travelex Insurance Services (tel. 888/228-9792; www.travelexinsurance.com)



What You Can Bring into and Take out of Taiwan

You are allowed to bring in 200 cigarettes or 25 cigars or 454g of tobacco; 1 bottle (not more than 1l) of alcoholic beverage; reasonable quantities of perfume for personal use; and other goods for personal use up to the value of NT$20,000 (NT$10,000 for passengers under 20 years of age).

The import and export of foreign currency is unlimited, although amounts over US$10,000 must be declared on arrival.

Publications promoting Communism are prohibited,

For specifics on what you can bring back into your country of origin, see the following:

U.S. Citizens: FFor specifics on what you can bring back and the corresponding fees, visit Know Before You Go online at www.cbp.gov. (Click on "Travel" and then click on "Know Before You Go.”) Or contact the U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP), 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20229 (tel. 877/227-5511).

Canadian Citizens: For a clear summary of Canadian rules, visit the I Declare online guide at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca (click on “Travellers,” then “More,” then “I Declare” in the blue box at lower left), issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500).

U.K. Citizens: For information, contact HM Revenue & Excise at tel. 0845/010-9000 (from outside the U.K., 020/8929-0152), or consult their website at www.hmce.gov.uk.

Australian Citizens: Can You Bring It In? is a helpful online guide available from the Australian Customs Service website, www.homeaffairs.gov.au. For more information, call tel. 1300/363-263.

New Zealand Citizens: MMost questions are answered on the New Zealand Customs Service website, www.customs.govt.nz. For more information, contact New Zealand Customs, The Customhouse, 17-21 Whitmore St., Box 2218, Wellington (tel. 49/927-8036 or 0800/428-786).

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.